PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Pleco Issue

farzadkavari
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Hello, I have a 12 inch Pleco in my 90 gallon with adult Discus and two angels. The Pleco has been so aggressive and kind bothering the discus when they try to eat their daily beef mix diet. As soon as I put the food in the tank and discus come to start feeding the Pleco starts going after Discus trying to suck the slime coat off of them while they are busy eating.. It really interrupts their eating habit. Now I really like the fact that Pleco is eating the algae and keeps the glass nice and clean. Is there anything I can do to calm him down so I can keep him? I do feed him algea discs.

CobaltBerry
03-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Have you tried feeding the pleco vegetables? Mine (9" Sailfin or Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) likes the occasional zucchini and cucumber. Here's a really good article about plecos and feeding:
Part1:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=294

Part2:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=426&title=Feeding+PlecosWho+eats+what%3F

John_Nicholson
03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
The only pleco that will normally work with a discus is a dwarf bristlenose. I would get rid of the one you got.

-john

farzadkavari
03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
You see... I tried buying it the best algae discs from petsmart and he seems to like the slime coat taste much better! I mean it just seems unresistant to him... I doubt cucumbers will keep him in check but ill give it a shot... Now gotta find a way on him to sink cucumbers.

John_Nicholson
03-05-2014, 06:06 PM
He will not stop. It is just not going to happen. Take him out. To sink cucumbers you just stick a fork in them.

-john

farzadkavari
03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
He will not stop. It is just not going to happen. Take him out. To sink cucumbers you just stick a fork in them.

-john

John, I agree... I know i will have to remove him ultimately. He is strssing them out 2 much when they are trying to feed in peace... He was a lot calmer when he was like 5-6 inches now he is getting more and more aggresive as he gets bigger.

farzadkavari
03-05-2014, 06:15 PM
The only pleco that will normally work with a discus is a dwarf bristlenose. I would get rid of the one you got.

-john

John, arent the bristle dwarf plecos just to small for a 90 gallon tank? I need a good cleaner to keep the glass clean. What do you recommend, im even open to consider snails..

John_Nicholson
03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Put in several BN plecos. Nearly any other type will suck your discus.

John, arent the bristle dwarf plecos just to small for a 90 gallon tank? I need a good cleaner to keep the glass clean. What do you recommend, im even open to consider snails..

Rudustin
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
My experience is as John said. Take the Pleco out!

frost63
03-05-2014, 11:02 PM
I have a 60 gallon could I put a blue phantom pleco 4 discud and African butterfly fish I dont want to over stock it either

farzadkavari
03-05-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a 60 gallon could I put a blue phantom pleco 4 discud and African butterfly fish I dont want to over stock it either

So i can also put blue phantom pleco and they would act right and not go after discus?

Nick Klimkowski
03-05-2014, 11:52 PM
So i can also put blue phantom pleco and they would act right and not go after discus?

In my experience with phantoms they tend to not bother the other fish, but I keep them in a large group so they were more focused on each other than any of the discus in the tank.

Larry Bugg
03-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Take the pleco out. A paper towel works just fine to clean the glass.

Tazalanche
03-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Now I really like the fact that Pleco is eating the algae and keeps the glass nice and clean. Is there anything I can do to calm him down so I can keep him? I do feed him algea discs.Since you want to keep him, I'll be the devil's advocate and provide an alternative suggestion...

remove the discus.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/stuff/Smileys/runaway.gif

John_Nicholson
03-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Get a rope.............

-john

Since you want to keep him, I'll be the devil's advocate and provide an alternative suggestion...

remove the discus.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/stuff/Smileys/runaway.gif

amonta1995
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Get rid of the pleco and put a whole bunch of snails!