PDA

View Full Version : Discus stress bars stress me out

fiftymeatballs
03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I have been keeping discus for 5 years or so. I keep many species of fish including apisto, rainbow, loach, dwarf shrimp etc and am currently running 4 display tanks. One of those is a 120 gallon planted discus community tank with 7 adults.

I am always analyzing the crap out of my discus. If they show stress bars and fight a lot I get stressed. If one scratches itself on driftwood or tears a fin I get bent out of shape. I always feel like I need to change water. Now don't get me wrong I really enjoy keeping fish. It's a huge passion of mine. But after years I am realizing discus are the only fish that seem to make me stressed out. I feel like this hobby is supposed to be relaxing, almost a form of meditation for me. I want to get lost in my fish tank, but can't seem to feel that way when I look at my discus tank. What the hell is wrong with me? Does anyone else feel like this?

Phillydubs
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
It is all part of the hobby my friend. Keeping a tank, let alone tanks is a lot of work. It takes time, energy, passion, focus and dedication. It sounds to me as if you are very dedicated to your fish and love them alot, hence the stress when any little thing is wrong. I think all you can do is what is in your control. Water changes, feed good food, give them a great home to grow and good care and sit back and try and relax. They are animals after all, things will happen, just as they can to you, me, a child or any other animal we own. You can't stress over every little thing...

Trust me, I speak from experience. I used to be just like you and it made me want to stop keeping fish. Finally I said, you know what, this is a hobby, it is something I love and these are all growing pains and part of the game. If I can't handle it then I should let it go and find something else... For the most part I was able to let go a bit and enjoy, don't get me wrong I still stress at times but not like I used to...

I keep African cichlids as well and I lost one of my favorite fish yesterday. I almost fell into that funk but I again said, part of the hobby, part of the game, ,move on change water, learn, grow and enjoy...

I am only 30 and plan to keep fish for the rest of my life... fish will get sick, fish will die, fish will get hurt, tear fins, fight, etc...

Get used to it or get out is what I say!

Hope this helps...

Phillydubs

jmf3460
03-10-2014, 11:28 AM
I know how you feel OP, i love keeping fish tanks and fish of all types. Like you, i find myself worrying over them often. This weekend for example we had an ice storm and my power went out, all day Friday i went around my house doing water changes with oxygenated water and agitating the tanks to keep them alive. Turned out my power was only out for like 4 hours so the tanks only lost like 5 degrees in temperature but i was stressed and worried all day. Like many things its a two sided sword...they keep me worried but its all worth it to me when i sit in my fish room and stare at them for hours just observing their behaviors.

i will say that ever since i started doing big bi-weekly/weekly water changes my worries have gone down. i used to use meds now i just do water changes.

JmDiscuss
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Phillydubs, Is right on, I am about to start a 75 Gallon tank, I already have a 40 gallon with only 2 discus in it and doing water changes on that is not bad, but will be once the 75 is up and full with 7 or 8 discus. Yes I agree Discus are demanding more so then others fish that i have had over the many years.. but to me there is no other fresh water fish that compare to them.. Best thing I can do is like Phillydubs said, give them good food and keep the water clean and sit back and watch..

DiscusLoverJeff
03-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Many people jump into discus thinking they can raise discus because they raised other fish. That is simply not the case. You would be surprised at the amount of people who try it one minute and sell the discus the next because of all the extra care that goes into raising these beautiful fish.

The only thing I can suggest is, when anyone thinks they are ready, they should come to this forum and read up on what it takes before they leap into it. I am not saying it is difficult; it is just more care that is needed between good food and clean water.

Also know what tank size you will need for the amount of discus you want to raise. Don't crowd them in.

JmDiscuss
03-10-2014, 06:57 PM
jmf3460, I am in Greensboro also, I was out of town when the ice storm hit, and thought i would come back to dead fish, but was lucky, my power was only out for 5 mins from what my clock said..

amonta1995
03-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I spend more time making sure my discus are happy and healthy then school work! If they dont look 100% happy im definitely not! Its a part of the package with discus, if you dont worry thats probably not a good thing.

Rudustin
03-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I agree with Philly that eventually you lower risks with good fish keeping experience and you learn what your parameters and time management are and then from there you don't take on more than you can handle. I have a lot of discus and quite a few tanks. I have learned how much time I need to devote to keeping discus without impacting my life to the point that it become the only obsession. Discus are stronger than many people think they are. As example I just got a delivery of two San Merahs from Kenny last week. They were stuck for twenty four hours in Memphis FedX facility. Kenny was very upset about it and his concern was laudable but I just knew these fish that were more than twenty four hours late would be fine. And they were! Stop obsessing and just enjoy your discus. I stick to the rules of water changes, good food, not over feeding and letting them fight for food because that's what do! It's natural that they should compete for food in the wild why would they not in a glass box? I used to feel the exact same way but now I just take the game day by day.

kkdiscus
03-10-2014, 11:54 PM
I get stressed when my discus get sick, but now with some medicines ready, I am more relief.

Discus hobby supposed to be enjoying, if it stressed you too much, you should consider another hobby. :p

discus rookie
03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
When they are healthy and eating I just enjoy looking at them, feeding them, and changing their water.
I used to get stressed out very easily whenver I thought something was wrong, then I realized when I was thinking too much I always wanted to change something. Then I learned that changing too many things too often is one of the worst thing I could do to my discus so now I just feed them, change their water then get on with my life. I sometimes look at them and feel very happy, it de-stresses me. I do not feel stress anymore.

n8rdms
05-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Well put Philly. I've been stressing a little to much about mine lately. I love the hobby so I'm going to try to have your attitude about it more often.

Quintin
05-03-2014, 03:26 PM
I agree.I get really down when i have a fish die, or get sick.but follow the basics and it will be fine.well worth it when u sit and watch them for hours when they healthy and happy, makes it worth it.I have 2 discus tanks and 2 oscar tanks at present.(never kept fish before,and am tottaly hooked)We were looking for another place to rent recently.First up enough rooms for the children, then the fish and then make space for more discus over there, over there and over there.Like the one guy gt a spot between the fridge and stove in the kitchen.biggest mission getting ur wife to not feel the fish are more important:)

Fish from Philly
05-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Another Philly here...I think we would all agree the benefit and stress release you get outweighs the stress you get due to keeping fish/discus. Sure I hate losing a fish. Man, I hate when i uproot a plant! It's all good though when I chill out and watch everything come together. Good luck and hope it's the same for u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquadon2222
05-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I can relate. Stress bars used to bother me but their "fighting" is more like "playing" and when they get excited their bars pop out. I just got 4 wilds (2 Alenquer and 2 Yellow Browns) and they show their bars 24/7.

beastroy
05-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Is very easy to relief your stress....try to keep discus only tank.