PDA

View Full Version : grow out time from 4"

aquadon2222
03-11-2014, 12:44 AM
I get my fish at around 4.5" and want to grow them out to full size adults. How long will this take assuming Im keeping my water good? What kind of feeding regimen would you suggest? I'm not looking for monsters just nice full grown discus and am wondering how long I should expect to wait assuming proper care. Thanks.

trungnguyen
03-11-2014, 12:53 AM
I always get 4-4.5' fish to keep and grow out, and I am not rushing or anything. All I can say to you that it depends on the strains beside good quality food and water. Some strains grow faster than others, and albino strains take longer. A nice full grown discus, I would say about 6-6.5'', so you just need to feed them with high protein food and daily water change. I feed my fish with BH mixed in the morning and afternoon, FDBW during the rest of the day, and frozen worms sometime as a treat. Everyone has different ways to grow the fish, so you just try to feed them with high protein food and do large daily WC as much as you could. Give them about 1 month, and you will figure out by yourself. It is very fun when growing the fish

aquadon2222
03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks, I'm ordering some of Hans BHM with my next shipment; last time I tried feeding them FBH they wouldn't eat it, but it was bought at a LFS and I suspect the quality wasn't great.

trungnguyen
03-11-2014, 01:06 AM
sometime it takes a while for discus accept new food. Try to feed them new food a little bit every morning as a first feeding. They will eat them eventually.

kkdiscus
03-11-2014, 03:25 AM
I feed bloodworm most of the time, together with some minor tetrabits.

There are different quality of bloodworm, the latest one I got is much fatter the worms. My fish seems to like it a lot. Tetrabits only being accepted by some, not all.