PDA

View Full Version : Skinny discus with super appetite

Alyn
03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I have a beautiful 5 inch checkerboard discus purchased from Discus Hans about eight months ago. He has been looking more and more skinny and has grown very little since I purchased him. His color is bright, he is very active and has a ravenous appetite. I tried to inspect his feces, but he does not seem to go a lot and when he does it is a small amount. It does not look stringy, but it is a white/gray color and does not look like the other discus.

I have been treating him with Metro in his food for two weeks now, with no improvement. I was wondering if I should treat with Prazi and if so, is it safe to treat the whole tank. I was also wondering if I should treat the tank water with Metro instead of the food. I am very reluctant to use medications as I have a planted tank and some other delicate fish, but I really love this discus and don't want to lose him. I also have a 10g sick tank if it would be better to treat him separately. Would include pic, but have not figured out how to do that from an android phone.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Just noticed, he has two small holes between the eyes which could be HTH.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Metro in food 250/one oz. food once a day - no change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
75g., four 5-6 discus, rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, albino BN, albino whiptail, regular whiptail, small yellow king tiger pleco, gold nugget pleco, emperor pleco, rams

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
2x week, 50%, daily gravel vac

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
planted/ sand substrate

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _74-75

- ph __6.8

- ammonia reading _0

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

kkdiscus
03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I can't give much info, but I find it much easier and much more effective to treat a fish in a small empty tank than a big tank with other fishes. You can give a much more accurate med dosage in a small tank.

dirtyplants
03-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Hey, KK you did not mention your water source, you also mention zero nitrates which is rare. White stringy poops and being skinny may be worms and if metronidazole ( metronidazole will work on gram neg. parasites mostly ) did not work I would suspect worms. Did you complete the metronidazole treatment? What are you feeding him? QT him ensure more frequent water changes, if worms, then the treatment will sedate worms not kill them so you will need to vacuum them out immediately. So QT is very important with deworming. More daily water changes with large percentage would benefit you greatly at this stage.

pcsb23
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
A few observations. If the temp you state is correct, then it is too low - aim for 82f. The two holes you mention are most likely nares (nostrils if you like). Prazi will deal with any tape worms present (there may be some) and is safe to use across the tank, but if the fish is carrying a heavy payload of tapes it may block (rare though). Levimasole would be my call here.

Alyn
03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Sorry, I meant to say temp at 84 -85. Nitrates are within normal range. Sort of new at this, sorry for mistakes.

John_Nicholson
03-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Nearly every fish swimming has hex in their gut but normally it does not cause problems but when fish are kept in less than ideal conditions even the healthiest fish will breakdown. My guess is it is from long term cold. The good news is that it is eating. Chances are that with improved care it will regain its health that is originally had. Bad news is you have probably removed any chance for it to grow.

-john

Alyn
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Paul, where can I get Levimaslole and is it safe? I guess it would be better to treat in the sick tank? My temp has akways been. 84, will this stunt his growth?

dirtyplants
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
My guess is it is from long term cold. Chances are that with improved care it will regain its health that is originally had. Bad news is you have probably removed any chance for it to grow.

John are you saying that chilled temps stop the fish from growing?

Paul, where can I get Levimaslole and is it safe? I guess it would be better to treat in the sick tank? My temp has akways been. 84, will this stunt his growth?
Treat in a sick tank, you can get levimasole from ebay. I tried farm stores but found it was often mixed with other chemicals and usually in a gel mixture.

John_Nicholson
03-11-2014, 12:20 PM
I am saying that the low temperature stressed the fish, which caused a decrease in health, which lead to the loss of growth.

-john

dirtyplants
03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I am saying that the low temperature stressed the fish, which caused a decrease in health, which lead to the loss of growth.

Thanks John