PDA

View Full Version : Two Dark Discus in my planted tank

32Bit_Fish
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
I have a 75G planted tank with some tetras. I added two 4" discus in the tank yesterday. They stay in dark. However, I do have black background and mixed small gravel with eco-complete.

I've been doing at least 50% w/c once a week and nitrate has been around 7 PPM.

For those of you who said there is no need to use an air stone in a planted tank, now I'm in doubt. Two discus were fine yesterday, now their breathing are labored. So I had to put an air stone in the tank. It seems it helped them with the breathing. So what's up with the no air stone needed in planted tank talk?

They started eating Tetra colorbites just now, but they are still shy and scared of my tetras. It's ridiculus that discus are scared of such tiny fish. I do admit my tetras are aggressive eater and they are in frenzy mode when there are food in the water. I have 10+ cardinals, 10+ lemon tetras.

I am do aware that discus do better in group (at least 5 or 6). The problem is I have a 20G quarantine tank. So I can only buy 2 adult discus at a time and quarantine for a month. So how long do these two settle in a 75G planted tank?

I'm thinking about using food cone to feed them. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks

du3ce
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
discus dont like quick movements thats why they are scared they are prob getting used to their new environment, you dont really need a airstone unless u dont have any surface agitation

32Bit_Fish
03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I hope I find out the problem cause them gone dark. I haven't siphoned the substrate for 3 month. Finally I did tonight and I got 15g of black water out of the tank and they stink too. And a 70% w/c, hopefully that will resolve the issue. How often do you guys siphone the substrate? At every water change?

I have organic potting soil and top with gravel and ecocomplete. Hopefully that doesn't cause water quality issue.

wolfel
03-13-2014, 02:53 AM
I used to have two discus in a planted tank and they stayed very dark. I tried to use a tank separator to divide discus with their tank mates, and they seemed to feel a lot more secured and turned light a little bit.

Later I prepared a bare bottom tank and moved them in, and they immediately turned light forever.

My experience is even if I siphon the substrate every other day I got huge amount of waste, and I felt that I never make the tank as clean as possible. Bare bottom tank is the way to go.

pcsb23
03-13-2014, 05:05 AM
From the sounds of things it looks like you lack experience with planted tanks and with discus. No offence but this is the worst possible scenario as both require some experience to get the best from them. If you have used soil with gravel on top then of course any syphoning of the gravel will pull out black water. With Walstead type tanks they depend on having good growth so the root system prevents any anaerobic spots so if the smell you mention was like rotten eggs it will be down to that, it could of course just be the organic matter in the soil decomposing under the gravel and water.

I'd seriously think about what you want to achieve here. Take some time to develop the skills of keeping a planted tank, if you have the space keep discus in BB tanks until you have the skills with them AND the plants. Then put them together.

32Bit_Fish
03-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I've moved the two discus back to the 20g QT tank after they spent 4 days in my 75g planted tank. One of them is in poor health condition (dark, rapid breathing with one side of gill plate completely closed, spits out food when trying to eat). I believe my 75g had very dirty substrate and infested with flukes. Two discus were very healthy before going to my planted tank. I never saw this coming as I have been doing 50% w/c and all other fish are doing great in my planted tank. So I never thought there are issues with the water.

Also, both discus were having difficulty seeing the food, not sure it was the light that was blinding them or they are too scared to go catch the food while other fish were charging at the food aggressively. After all, it's an epic failure trying to keep a planted discus tank. I may tear down my 75g planted to a BB tank.

32Bit_Fish
03-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Guys,

I have been treating my planted tank with Praziqantel for two weeks now and fish show no sign of fluke (normal breathing and no scratching). Should I give another try for planted discus tank? I feel really bad to tear down this 75G planted tank into BB tank. It is very beautiful with lots green plants. But I do want to keep discus also. I need some suggestions whether go with a BB or keep discus in my beautiful 75G planted tank.

sholvey
03-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I am do aware that discus do better in group (at least 5 or 6). The problem is I have a 20G quarantine tank. So I can only buy 2 adult discus at a time and quarantine for a month.

I have qt 5 4.5-5" in a 20 gal for a month and have never had an issue. I do close to 100% daily water changes on that tank until I transfer.

32Bit_Fish
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
I have qt 5 4.5-5" in a 20 gal for a month and have never had an issue. I do close to 100% daily water changes on that tank until I transfer.

Great, thanks for the info. I guess I can keep more than 2 adult discus if I can commit to do daily 100% w/c