PDA

View Full Version : Wild and tank lighting?

winn0923
03-14-2014, 08:06 PM
What do you guys recommend?

I put in a 48" led and all my wild run for the corner :( it is a marine land single bright...

They do just fine at ambient room light... Now they seem super skittish. Still eating like pigs just they don't venture out as much. I have to spot feed them if I want them to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zchauvin
03-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Let them get used to it....

kkdiscus
03-14-2014, 09:00 PM
How long have you have the fish?

Leave the light on overnight, they will get used to it.

dirtyplants
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Marine lights tend to be bright with a high blue spectrum, can you dim it down? Do you have an output dial on it? If not you can try raising it higher. Eventually they will get more used to it, but still may remain a bit skittish. Especially if the light goes on fast.

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Winn, is your trombeta female use to the light?

Kirbs
03-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I have an LED that Pat recommended that works great. It has 5 different white light settings and my Wilds like it on the 2nd lowest. They take off to the corners when I first turn it on and then come out later. They don't like the brightest setting though.

winn0923
03-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Yup she is and the male thrombeta male is also. Actually the led I used on their tank is even brighter. But since the new discus is skittish they become skittish too. I just add the new led yesterday. Maybe I need to give them more time.

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Winn, you can add some window screen between the light and the top (hope you have a top) to run the length of the light to help dim it. The light Kribs mentions is dim-able so makes conditioning wilds to light a bit easier.

winn0923
03-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I don't have a top pat... It is a rimless tank like Matt lol. Same foot print also except a bit shorter.

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe you could use rubber bands along the length to hold the screen in place along the light. Sort of a pain but doable.

winn0923
03-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Yea I'm thinking of a way to raise the light up... I'll give them a few days to see how it goes. The female is def not in her breeding dress anymore... They are all huddle in the corner atm.

With the thrombeta what I did was adding peat + ro + tap and then slowing converting them to all tap. I think the peat helped diffuse the light and by the time they are converted to all tap the light didn't bother them that much.

The alenquers from john has no luxury since they were exposed to all tap water since they arrived. I might have to add peat and see if it works out better. I'll give a them a week with light on 24/7 to adjust and see.

dirtyplants
03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
You can buy a film that cuts the light down used for windows, cut it to size and place inside the splash guard.

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Tough love :D

Discus-n00b
03-14-2014, 10:18 PM
I was going to suggest the removable window tint from walmart or any car parts store as well like Coree. Should be fairly cheap and easy to remove. Otherwise wrap some type of cloth, mesh, tshirt etc around the light and try to diffuse it. Being an LED it shouldn't get hot enough for a fire hazard....cheese cloth?

winn0923
03-14-2014, 10:43 PM
I was going to suggest the removable window tint from walmart or any car parts store as well like Coree. Should be fairly cheap and easy to remove. Otherwise wrap some type of cloth, mesh, tshirt etc around the light and try to diffuse it. Being an LED it shouldn't get hot enough for a fire hazard....cheese cloth?

Lol!!!!!

winn0923
03-15-2014, 12:35 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/7unypa9e.jpg

As you can see, I even only use a 36" light on a 48" tank

winn0923
03-15-2014, 12:38 AM
The light was stationed near the back half of the tank, so the discus stay near the front where there's less light, the only way I can snap a shot of them is w flash on my iPhone :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/3y7yqary.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/ape9eze2.jpg

Trevor W
03-15-2014, 04:17 AM
Beautiful fish!.... I would suggest taking piece of corrogated plastic poster board or whatever its called, (its cheap and can be found at any hardware store). Just cut it to cover 1/3 or 1/2 of the top of the tank. Then just ease it smaller and smaller each day. Or you could use some egg crate plastic light diffuser, (also cheap and can be found at any hardware store). Maybe put something dark on top of the egg crate to filter it more if you want.

Maybe you could put a spacer between the tank mounts and rim or your tank to raise it up an inch or 2. Might make it easier to place something on top of the tank.