PDA

View Full Version : Sick tefe discus

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
I have a tefe discus that i have had for about 3 months now still a juvenile. He is almost black on color now barely moving and not eating.i have a 90 gallon hexagon tank. I change the water every other week about 20 gallons the ph is at 6.7 and temp at 84. I treat tap water before adding it to my tank with prime and adjust ph to match what my tank is at or a little less to bring the tanks down a little bit. All of my other fish are fine and still eating. I feed them blood worms and it is a planted tank with sand bottom. I separated him from all other fish yesterday by putting him in a 10 gallon tank with exact comparable water and he is still hanging in there. My ammonia and nitrates tested 0 along with nitrites. Again he is almost black in color but I can still see his strip a on his side, barely moving not eating. I noticed this 2 days ago and separated him yeaterday. Please help.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 07:34 AM
I realized I missed some things I have a cardinal tetra a gold barb a rainbow shark two clown loaches and three other discus all about the same size. Have had the tank set up about 6 months before I got my first discus about 4 months ago so fish vary on age. Last fish added was well over 2 months ago.

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Now that o think about it. It has been set up well over a year just cheap fish like tetras and and I have 3 serpea tetras also

pcsb23
03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
I moved your posts to a thread of their own as it will lead to confusion and this way you get advice re your issues. You will get better advice by filling this in http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Initial thoughts are maybe some form of bacterial infection, but extremely difficult to be sure.

Elliots
03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
You need to do many more and larger water changes. If he is a juvenile I think at least 50% daily and maybe more. How many Discus do you have? They generally do better in shoals of at least 5-6. If you only have one Discus, good luck. It is not to say that you cannot bring up a single Discus just that it is difficult. Also try not to adjust your pH. Discus do best at constant pH no matter what thast number is.

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
I have 4 discus total. My ph stays around 6.7 if I do any adjustment it is mainly just to the new water and if it does change at all it will rise a little between water changes only about .1 or .2 I figured doing more frequent water changes will help with preventing any issues I do test my water 2 to 3 times a week for any variation ammonia and nitrates and any time there is any variation is when I do my water changes. I generalized it by saying 2 weeks . Sometimes that might be twice a week other times it might be two e a week. I change my carbon filters about once every two weeks and I also filter with peatmoss and I change that every two to four weeks. I have a Marineland bio wheel 400 that seems to keep the water pretty clean. I'm at work for another 6 hours so hoping he is still alive when I get home

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
<i>Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop hiding,headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Really dark but can still barely see his strip, eyes look slightly cloudy, not eating(looks really skinny) and barely moving sitting at bottom but still right side up and moves when I put net by him.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Haven't used any medications or treatment but I have him in a separate tank as of yesterday.

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

90 gallon hexagon tank. 13 fish all relatively small and vary in age from 1 year to 6 months old. 4 of the fish are bottom feeders 2 clown loaches and 2 plecos 1 small one medium. 1 cardinal tetra 3 serpea tetras. 1 gold barb atleast 3 years old from a different tank. 3 other discus. 1 marborol red 1 cobalt(The bully) 1 turquoise and the sick tefe. Last a rainbow red shark( keeps to himself down bottom had for over a year).

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

25% and how often varies between a couple times a week to bi weekly

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank had been running for over a year no and has sand substrate about 1-2 inches deep.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No I don't age my water but I treat with prime and ph down in separate tank before adding to my main tank

8. Parameters and water source.
Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible

- temp __84___

- ph __6.7___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms.

pcsb23
03-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Your water changes need to be more frequent. 2 to 3 times a week would be the minimum and they would need to be around 33% or so. I'd also skip using the peatmoss and pH down, there is rarely any need to use these products. I'd not keep clowns or plecs with discus either nor would I keep a red tailed shark or gold barb either with discus.

The likelihood is that the tefe is too far gone so it may be best to cull it.

dirtyplants
03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
You said this came on suddenly to days ago? Did you notice any gill irritation, any scrapping, flared or heavy breathing, is he at the bottom or top of the tank? He may be too far gone, but was this really sudden?

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Yes it popped up suddenly he is at the bottom of the tank and I did not notice anything else with him he has kept to himself more since I have gotten him months ago. Mainly came from behind stuff during feeding never really out with the others so there is a chance I could have missed some signs with him but he ate like normal 2 days ago I just noticed he was dark in color waited a day and he was at the bottom then barely moving.

dirtyplants
03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Is he in a QT tank? If not I would put him in one. Does he look skinny?

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Yea I got him in a quarantine tank yesterday and yes he is skinny

dirtyplants
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Right now good clean water changes would be good, as Paul stated the chances of him surviving at this stage is not good. I do a visual check on all my fish everyday as I feed.

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
I appreciate everyone's advice and I hope I'm not to late thanks

tjh9100
03-17-2014, 04:26 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/18/anemysyb.jpg unfortunately he did not make it the is what he looks like and what I meant by dark although this morning the whitish spots by his gills were not there if anyone can tell by looking what might have caused this please let me know