PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for killing three months?

adapted
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
You could say I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go: three tanks just about cycled, new pumps and heaters and water barrels and all the rest on hand. But no fish.

I decided I was going to hold out for some really nice wilds and I've made a couple of stabs at getting them. John in Florida was out of Blues; another couple of inquiries came up empty. I wanted to buy about six adults or sub-aduts all at once for each of the two 75's and not add any other fish or plants or substrate. (I was an intermedite level discus keeper 15 years ago but haven't a tank running since 2005 or so.)

I decided I might have to wait until the NADA in Austin in June. I assume it would be a good opportunity to select fish in person; and anyway it would be a treat just to see what shows up.

I'm just not sure I can stare at three empty aquariums for another ninety days. Any wise counsel out there on how to make the best use of three pre-discus months? Something better than buying a few dozen cardinal tetras to alleviate the boredom?

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Are you still hoping for wilds or are you waiting until the next wilds season? If you are considering domestics how about a pair from Hans. That could keep you busy. :D

adapted
03-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Pat, I'm not set on wild-caught fish, but certainly wild strainsand their offspring, F1's if that's what they call them. I looked into some Santarems from Hans...didn't think about buying a pair but that's intriguing. I know they aren't an actual wild strain but tey are majestic for sure.

My problem is since I wasn't going to mix strains and I don't have all that much space (2 new 75's and two old school Oceanic 29 cubes) I can't get everything I'd like. I started out with some Manacupuru Blues a decade ago and I'd like to revisit them if I could. I'm sure I'll end up compromising eventually.

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
One of those cubes sound perfect for a pair. :D

dirtyplants
03-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Until you decide, why don't you try to hone in on your water and wc system. Maybe you could figure out how to increase speed and simplify your system? That would might preoccupy some of your time. Check you fish medicine cab. make sure you have every thing in it needed for emergencies. Look again at your tanks and see if you may want to add a back ground to one or any. Waiting is hard I was pulling my hair out, and my problem is when the wilds come in the weather is not good here. John and I played tag with winter storms.

adapted
03-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Good advice, d-plants. I have probably already moved into overkill territory on equipment but I only ordered 1 treatment, Prazipro. Probably should stock up on meds before fish arrive.

I've spent a lot of time trying to devise painless water changes without a lot of obtrusive barrels and PVC/tubing. I have a mostly invisible system, but it does require opening a window and hanging out tubing for drainage. (I found some 40 gallon Brutes that fit perfectly in a shallow closet... highly recommended for cramped quarters; barely 23" x 23" if you cut the handles off as I did.)

dirtyplants
03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
A good time to organize also, get all the size nets needed, a med cab. going. Look into foods and purchase some of Al's FDBWs or Bill's BH flakes. Stock up on filter media, retest wc system. Let us know what you go with.

DonMD
03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
You'll just need to keep the cycle going until you receive your fish. Also if you decide to get a domestic pair in the mean time, you can always sell them if you need the room. Just a thought.

adapted
03-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Don, the only aquarium product that has struck me as cheap in the last month or so is ammonia... I've been adding a few drops every other day. Ammonium chloride, to be precise... I hope I have enough to last, but it was only two dollars or so.

The idea of a pair is sounding better and better. Never bought a pair before.. just groups of 6 or 8 youngsters who eventually found their partners...

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2014, 02:06 PM
There was a pair of reds with wigglers about to go free swimming and the end of Hans second video. :)

DonMD
03-17-2014, 05:31 PM
I recently bought a proven pair from Hans, and I've got 50 1-month old fry. If having a pair sounds good to you, then you'd better start thinking about how to rear fry, it's VERY labor intensive! LOL. Maybe you should just get a picture of a pair for the time being . . .

adapted
03-17-2014, 05:40 PM
A pair sounds good because I have a couple of perfect breeder tanks for them and I always found pair behavior relaxing to watch (as long as they weren't squabbling too much.)

But I know what you mean about the investment in raising fry... it's nearly a full time job.

Brandon3000
03-19-2014, 01:14 AM
World of warcraft. 3 months will go by in the blink of an eye.