PDA

View Full Version : yellows vs albinos

frylover
03-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Fairly new to discus just wondering peoples recommendations for yellows that aren't pigeon based (if there are any). And also would you choose a yellow over just an albino of some form that is yellow in color? Any pros/con's with food requirements etc.

wild4discus
03-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Most if not all domestically bred yellows are pigeon based. Albino yellow discus will not have any black pigmentation, which is a more desireable look IMO. Also, yellow discus may turn an orange hue when fed foods with red color enhancers even albinos. To avoid yellow discus turning orange, feed foods without red color enhancers like astaxanthin, carophyll pink, carotenes, shrimp or krill. To enhance yelloe coloration, feed food with caraphyll yellow or marigold powder. As far as choosing albino vs nonalbino, it is your choice. I personaaly like albino yellows to avoid black pigmentation. Also females tend to have more solid coloration whereas males tend to have lighter colored bodies or have some blotchiness. HTH.

OC Discus
03-18-2014, 10:48 PM
I agree. I have an albino yellow that I love. Some foods do cause some orange coloration, but there is no peppering or black pigmentation.

frylover
03-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks. I was thinking albino already but just didn't know if anything else was available that was non pigeon based. I don't like the peppering and I have black substrate in my show tank. Thanks