PDA

View Full Version : Is loud music an issue for discus?

hypophthalmus
03-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm in the process of planning a discus aquarium. There are two sensible locations for it. The one I'd prefer is in the same room as my speaker system. I'm concerned though about whether the high music volume (and large dynamic ranges) would be stressful to the fish.

Does anybody have experience with this?

brewmaster15
03-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Guess it depends on the Music!:)

I used to play my music pretty loud in my old fishroom never noticed anything...However, I did have a tank that used to freak out when my well pump went on from the vibrations.. The Pump was indoors and a few feet away from the tank...

If you are concerned..Homedepot and lowes sells foam baords that should dampen the sound if placed on the sides of the tanks.

hth,
al

pcsb23
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Well I have had discus, angels, kribs and apsitos breeding whilst listening to GNR, Purple, Zep, Sabbath, SRV ... :)

DonMD
03-19-2014, 05:58 PM
I have cranked up Miles Davis, Compay Segundo, and Mahler in very close proximity ~ fish didn't seem to care one way or another.

Bill63SG
03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
If its too loud they're too old.

tonytheboss1
03-19-2014, 08:23 PM
As long as the tank isn't mounted on the speakers you should be fine. I've been known to crank up Jimmy Page, B.B. King & Bootsy Collins thru my Klipsch RF 82's with no visible problems. Speakers are on either side about 10/15 feet away in our living room. "T"

Trier20
03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
If its too loud they're too old.

Agreed I had a 90 that I had a floor speaker right behind it that had a 10" sub 6" and 4" mids and a 1.5" tweeter. You better believe they were loud. I tested it quietly to begin with and and watches them as I turned the volume up with the remote. Acted just fine and to be honest with you they seemed happier when the loud music was on.

-Brandon