PDA

View Full Version : Combined quarantine tank and water ager?

LeeAberdeen
03-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Never heard of this being done before, but I'm thinking that, as I don't have a quarantine tank and also have no room for an aging barrel, maybe I could combine the two? Just wondered if anyone saw any problems with that (which would explain why I've never heard of anyone doing it...)? Obviously I'm figuring on the tank being empty the vast majority of the time, and clearly I couldn't transfer water from a tank with a sick fish in it, but if I clean the thing out properly after any 'patients' and then fill it with HMA-filtered water after, would that work? That way, I could keep the water warm when I transfer it with the simple addition of a tank heater. Think it's called killing two birds with one stone...

My alternative is to run the HMA water straight to the tank, which I've heard is not ideal. Also, if I'm doing 30 per cent or more water changes, it will undoubtedly lower the tank temperature a lot.

Keith Perkins
03-19-2014, 06:56 PM
It seems like you could do it. I wouldn't want to have worry about cleaning your reservoir that well after having sick fish in it, but to each their own. I'd say the main reasons people don't do it are cost and chances of leaks eventually.