PDA

View Full Version : Tropical fish business - Any input appreciated!

Eti
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi guys,

Over the years, I really developed a passion over the discus and enough to get into this business actually.
I am working in imports now and I was wondering if you guys could help me by pointing out what door should I knock on to get into the tropical fish sourcing.
Do you think I should ask people like Petco, Petland etc or smaller distributors..? Do you have any contacts that could get me in the right direction?
I found my passion, I just want to turn it into a job now…! Any input would be really appreciated!
Thank you!

Nick Klimkowski
03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
There is a lot more that goes into importing than just importing, do you have in off aquariums to hold all of your stock, what is your experiences with keeping discus? Shipping them? I do not think that Pet co and pet land will want discus, mainly because they would be to challenging to keep for them. Make sure that this is something you truly want to do, it takes a lot of time, $, effort to get started. Just make sure you are ready. Hth.

Eti
03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
There is a lot more that goes into importing than just importing, do you have in off aquariums to hold all of your stock, what is your experiences with keeping discus? Shipping them? I do not think that Pet co and pet land will want discus, mainly because they would be to challenging to keep for them. Make sure that this is something you truly want to do, it takes a lot of time, $, effort to get started. Just make sure you are ready. Hth.
Thanks for your answer Nick. I think I explained myself bad. I meant I want to work at sourcing for a wholesaler and I was wondering if you guys know anyone who work in this industry. Thanks!

OC Discus
03-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Eti,

Please elaborate on what you mean by "sourcing". Do you want to have a retail store? An online store? Or be a supplier for existing retail stores?

My local fish store uses a single source- Sunpet.com. You can go to their website and check them out. They don't deal with the public, only retailers.

Segrest Farms is the largest wholesaler of tropical fish in the US.

Are you wanting to do what Kenny does? Import and sell discus in the US?

Eti
03-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Eti,

Please elaborate on what you mean by "sourcing". Do you want to have a retail store? An online store? Or be a supplier for existing retail stores?

My local fish store uses a single source- Sunpet.com. You can go to their website and check them out. They don't deal with the public, only retailers.

Segrest Farms is the largest wholesaler of tropical fish in the US.

Are you wanting to do what Kenny does? Import and sell discus in the US?

Hi OC! I meant supplying existing stores. Do you have any contact at Segrest? Thank you!

Eti
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
And by sourcing, I mean getting the fishs from the source and export them to the US or Europe.
Thank you!

Second Hand Pat
03-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't retailers deal with Segrest (or any other wholeseller) directly vs going through a middle man?

OC Discus
03-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok. So it sounds like you want to be an importer, like Kenny. One suggestion would be to talk to others who are doing it. Consider offering something no one else is doing to create a niche for yourself. No one in business will want to help you take their business. You will likely need to focus on overseas sources for your information. Maybe you could become a supplier of fish that are hard to find. You will have to do something different to compete with established suppliers.

You can google segrest farms. Pat is right. Retailers go directly through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eti
03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
depends...I work for huge food chains and they go a lot through the middleman...Or I could also maybe work for them...

Eti
03-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Ok. So it sounds like you want to be an importer, like Kenny. One suggestion would be to talk to others who are doing it. Consider offering something no one else is doing to create a niche for yourself. No one in business will want to help you take their business. You will likely need to focus on overseas sources for your information. Maybe you could become a supplier of fish that are hard to find. You will have to do something different to compete with established suppliers.

You can google segrest farms. Pat is right. Retailers go directly through them.

Thank you very much OC. I will do that

Skip
03-20-2014, 06:02 PM
are you wanting to sell and import discus? and/or other fish?

brewmaster15
03-20-2014, 06:40 PM
You should be able to find multiple Transhippers of fish within your area....I'd look around and see if you can find work with them.....But honestly, you'd be better off in another field and keeping the fish as a hobby...

hth,
al

Skip
03-21-2014, 09:17 AM
But honestly, you'd be better off in another field and keeping the fish as a hobby...
hth,
al

yes.. wise words

Eti
03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks! Could be discus and other fishs.
Skip and Brewmaster, maybe you are right but I need to try. Thanks for your help guys!

Kal-El
03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
It seems like we always see someone post about wanting to import and start a business but never seems to hear from them again after their post. I wish you all the best. I know making money from Discus isn't easy and sometimes it's like trading money and hoping to make a little profit.

Eti
03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
It seems like we always see someone post about wanting to import and start a business but never seems to hear from them again after their post. I wish you all the best. I know making money from Discus isn't easy and sometimes it's like trading money and hoping to make a little profit.
Kal-El, questions are free right :)?!

Kal-El
03-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Kal-El, questions are free right :)?!
If you have the desire, money, and time go for it. Only way to know if you will have success is to do it. Go All-in or go home... ;)

Skip
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
If you want to make a small fortune selling discus.. start off with a large one.

from this guy i know.. :)

Eti
03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
from this guy i know.. :)

haha, did not know this one..!

Second Hand Pat
03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
John's saying goes for horses too.

nwehrman
03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
And it is very true on both accounts!

sdrexler078
03-21-2014, 11:26 PM
If it were easy I think most of us would be doing it by now. I too would like to work with discus but I think my only chance is if Hans builds a second location in Louisiana.