PDA

View Full Version : BIG white spots

Argentum
03-21-2014, 09:14 AM
BIG white spots on one discus

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p634/argentumblade/Mobile%20Uploads/20140320_231217_zpszxy0uhp3.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/argentumblade/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140320_231217_zpszxy0uhp3.jpg.html)

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Big white spots doesn't look like ich, looks more like Acne in humans. only this single fish is infected no other fish got this

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Only the white spots. the fish is eating and behaving normally

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

This fish is for a friend he told me he did a PP dip before. I did a Short salt dip until the fish rolled over

Tank/Water

RO

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

80Gal

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

2 or 3 times 25% per week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Several years

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No

8. Parameters and water source;
Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

He doesn't have a test kit. we will test parameters later, tank mates include sting ray algae eater rams and other discus everyone is fine

- temp __29C___

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water _100%___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No
10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

dirtyplants
03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
What are your water parameters? Second QT him before those fall off, you not only have those white pimples but have white hairlike parasites if the picture is accurate. Is he acting normally other wise? Is he eating?

Skip
03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
poor water quality..
i have had this.. it was not doing enough water changes.. cuz i was lazy.

start doing 50% daily.. it would be gone is a few days..

Argentum
03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
What are your water parameters? Second QT him before those fall off, you not only have those white pimples but have white hairlike parasites if the picture is accurate. Is he acting normally other wise? Is he eating?

Its my friends aquarium. I am posting for him
he doesn't have a test kit.

the hair like is from the glass. it could be planaria

he had this for a month and its not falling of

Argentum
03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
poor water quality..
i have had this.. it was not doing enough water changes.. cuz i was lazy.

start doing 50% daily.. it would be gone is a few days..

What is that exactly did you get to identify it?
is it ulcers?

Skip
03-21-2014, 10:33 AM
What is that exactly did you get to identify it?
is it ulcers?

dont know exactly what it is.. but I know what I did to get rid of it...

Think of it as diaper rash.. from not enough water change. . No meds needed.. jus change water.. Its simple..

dirtyplants
03-22-2014, 03:38 PM
If planaria is on the fish and the tank, then this must be severely neglected as far as hygiene heavy nutrients are concerned. Cleaning of the substrate and wc is a must needed situation. The pimples on the other hand just may be due to poor water conditions, but calling them pimples like our pimples can be misleading.

Argentum
03-23-2014, 02:58 AM
If planaria is on the fish and the tank, then this must be severely neglected as far as hygiene heavy nutrients are concerned. Cleaning of the substrate and wc is a must needed situation. The pimples on the other hand just may be due to poor water conditions, but calling them pimples like our pimples can be misleading.

They are not on the fish, I think this is an optical illusion making them appear on the fish while they are on the glass.

I already told him to vacuum and up his WC

When calling them pimples it was just for the sake of describing their visual appearance

Thx

pcsb23
03-24-2014, 06:30 AM
I am 99.99 % sure this is not a parasite so no need to isolate imo/e. :)

Skip is half right ;) Increased water changes will often fix this type of issue as the new water will usually contain essential trace elements and minerals. The pimples look to be the typical cartilaginous matter that gets pushed out when the discus' diet is imbalanced. I've seen this in BB tanks which get daily large water changes too, when their diet is poor. Usually a lack of phosphorous and/or calcium and/or vitamin D - the reason I mentioned trace elements is that these are essential to allow the fish to metabolise the various minerals etc.

So, increase frequency or amount of water changed and improve the diet and it should go away.

If he has planaria then his husbandry is lacking, usually too much uneaten food and/or organic matter in the tank.

PaulD
04-06-2014, 10:46 AM
How is the fish now? Did the fish recovered?

Argentum
04-07-2014, 05:02 AM
How is the fish now? Did the fish recovered?

He is fine now all spots gone with just water changes, following a salt dip which was done initially when I thought these might be some sort of parasites.

So, only water changes was going to do the job. Ironically, yesterday I just took my new API test kit and went to my friends place to test his water. He HAd

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 120 !!!

All his fish seemed normal but I told him he is going to stun his fish besides the possibility of getting these pimples and other diseases back.

We did a 90% WC immediately and told him to up his water changes to 50% every other day

He used to do 25% every 3 or 4 days

PaulD
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
That's good news. But 120 nitrate is tooooo much.

Argentum
04-07-2014, 01:17 PM
That's good news. But 120 nitrate is tooooo much.

Sure it is in the extreme high range

Udeservit
04-07-2014, 06:00 PM
wow this is incredible advice here and proof of how clean water is a major factor in the health of our fish!! I'm so happy to have read this thread and know that meds are not always the first thing to run too when a fish looks sick. I would have come to the conclusion of Ich!
Thank-you from a follower...

Argentum
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
He is fine now all spots gone with just water changes, following a salt dip which was done initially when I thought these might be some sort of parasites.

So, only water changes was going to do the job. Ironically, yesterday I just took my new API test kit and went to my friends place to test his water. He HAd

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 120 !!!

All his fish seemed normal but I told him he is going to stun his fish besides the possibility of getting these pimples and other diseases back.

We did a 90% WC immediately and told him to up his water changes to 50% every other day

He used to do 25% every 3 or 4 days

wow this is incredible advice here and proof of how clean water is a major factor in the health of our fish!! I'm so happy to have read this thread and know that meds are not always the first thing to run too when a fish looks sick. I would have come to the conclusion of Ich!
Thank-you from a follower...

You are welcome, we are all learning here.

The most important thing I learned in this forum is clean water and vood husbandary, and proper qt procedures can go long way in prevention of any diseases.