PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Current

sholvey
03-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Hello all. I have a couple questions about my 100g getting too much current to the point that my discus are timid. They just huddle up in one end of the tank.I have a 5 foot long 100g planted that has been running for about 8 weeks. 2 weeks ago, I put some of my 5.5+ in discus I grew out in there. They were grown out in a 55g bb and were very active, even until the moment I transferred them. Originally, I bought 1 API Filstar L canister filter for the tank (It is rated for up to 175 gallons). At the time, I was going to use 2 Jager heaters and I changed my mind to run 2 Hydor external heaters. With that, I bought another Filstar L, so I could run the 2 heaters. Now, the flow rate is too much IMO. Do you think that since the current is high in the tank, this is causing the discus to act in the way that they are? I have my suspicions to the point, that I actually turned off the one filter for a little bit. In that time frame, they seem to be a little more active. I am considering on buying or making a spray bar for the two filters. I have never used a spray bar and was wondering if this will this slow down the current? It seems to me that it should cut it down. Thanks!

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Sean, if you turn off the filters how do the fish act? Also have you checked for a mini cycle?
Pat

sholvey
03-22-2014, 03:38 PM
They seem to do better. Which is why I think it may be current. And yes, I checked wanted parameters are okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sholvey
03-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Let me elaborate Pat sorry. When I turned one of the filters off, they were swimming around more, came to the glass, and were back to eating. Before I put them into the 100 gal, they ate everything especially Al's fdbw. When both filters ran, they turned down almost all food. I could hand feed them before and they would not show interest to eat in the new home. When only one filter was running, they ate out of my hand for the first time again.

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2014, 05:20 PM
In that case Sean sounds like current to me. A spray bar should help with that unless you can dial the filter down a bit.
Pat

pastry
03-22-2014, 05:50 PM
hell, you can even vary it at times if you wanted. someone on here does that but can't remember who. some of their discus looked like they began "playing" in the stronger current. just an off the wall idea and thought I'd throw it out there. can't remember how it was controlled (I think automatically... somehow like how you can do light settings/dimming throughout the day... I'm not that technology savvy though!).

tonytheboss1
03-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Don't jump the gun yet friend. It could be they haven't gotten completely comfortable with their 'new' surroundings. That is a drastic change & it's only been a few weeks. My tank is slightly larger but I have four filters going & mine do just fine. They are all over the place. Give em a bit more time to adjust. "T"