PDA

View Full Version : Shy discus

Jstaabs
03-24-2014, 01:10 PM
I was sure where to post this but one of my discus always swims away when anyone comes near the tank he has always been like this. All my other discus come swimming up to me when I walk up to the tank. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make him less scared?

FluffyWolf2
03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Unsure about discus as I'm here to learn but I took a magazine and my chair and just read it and sat reclined near the front of the tank. I have a set of fish who swim away and after a week of doing this for an hour or so each day the others don't mind me as much. Granted my favorite has been at the front of the tank since day one but I think the others have figured out I'm not about to gobble them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstaabs
03-24-2014, 11:16 PM
I'll try spending some more time with them the one that is shy is my favorite it's a stendker blue ss I've had him for about a year now

kkdiscus
03-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Try feed them with you watching. They will get use to your attendance after sometime.

Jstaabs
03-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Try feed them with you watching. They will get use to your attendance after sometime.

Me and my 2 year old sit there every night and watch them eat he loves watching them eat...thank you for the idea

dirtyplants
03-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Is this standard behavior for him? Or is this a change recently? If he has always been like this try as others have suggested being more present so he gets used to you. Shyness especially if new behavior, indicates the beginning of something not right, so while he is getting used to you watch him closely, for anything else odd in behavior.

Jstaabs
03-25-2014, 02:59 AM
He has always been like this he has been through my whole discus learning experience. I have never seen anything wrong with him. He does swim well with my other discus

dirtyplants
03-25-2014, 03:10 AM
He may just be a non forgiving discus:). Or he may have something irritating him that he is fighting with. If my fish become shy or if I have a shy fish I watch carefully.

aquadon2222
03-28-2014, 08:05 PM
IMHE discus fish have different personalities. I've had many perfectly healthy discus who just kind of like to hang out near the plants and others who are constantly looking for attention.