PDA

View Full Version : water conditioner or not

rdarnold
03-25-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a question on using water conditioners like prime or seachem safe? I am using well water so there is no chlorine and i run 90 to 100 % of my water thru a RO system and into a holding tank for 2 to 3 days before i use in my water changes. Would there be any benefit to adding seachem safe to the water? I have also read post that some using RO add trace elements back into the water any thoughts on this?

pcsb23
03-25-2014, 09:35 AM
If you are running your water through an RO system there is no need for any water conditioner. Depending on the RO system will depend on how much of the mineral content is stripped out. The old Merlin type systems stripped out less than for example those built using something like an axeon thin film membrane (typical hobbyists systems) ... with Merlins I wouldn't add much of anything back, but then I wouldn't really use a Merlin system. With what I call a proper RO system it is important to add some minerals back, including trace elements. Most use a commercial salt mix, some make their own, and some use filtered tap (including RO waste).