View Full Version : Another light and discus question

Darryl
03-26-2014, 06:39 AM
I have a Fluval Aqualife & Plant Full Spectrum LED Lite here are the spec's
48" long
Lumen 3475 LM
Lux 7827
Color Temp 5200K

I am still putting to gather the tank questionnaire but i would like some advise. I have a standard 75g tank 18" deep 21" tall and 48" long. I am going to do a planted tank. I am still cycling the tank but i have put in some smart plants and 24 tetras. i have noticed that when i have the day lite on the 12 cardinal tetras i have hide in the corner of the tank and when the nite lite is on they come out. i have been told i could put 6 to 8 discus in this tank but if my tetras are trying to hide from the day lite, how are the discus going to act ?

I have read that if i give them hiding places they will be ok but its going to be a couple of months before tank will be fully planted and then i still have to let them grow. I don't use CO2 injection so we could be talking months before there are enough hiding places for them to hide.

If the discus are hiding 12 hrs a day i would not think that would be very good for them. Will the LED lite i have be ok or should i use something else ? Will this LED be good for bring out the discus color as they grow or will i need to add some lite for that ?

Thanks For and Advise anyone could give me.

pcsb23
03-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Welcome on board :)

I'm at work at the mo' so don't have a huge amount of time available. Without sounding presumptious it seems that you are a newbie where planted tanks are concerned as well as discus. If so I'd urge you to reconsider starting with discus in a planted tank.

Darryl
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
i am a newbie to all fish but i have decided to try something everyone else says can't be done by a newbie. Thank you for your response and I will look forward to chatting when you get off work there in the UK

pcsb23
03-27-2014, 06:36 AM
i am a newbie to all fish but i have decided to try something everyone else says can't be done by a newbie. Thank you for your response and I will look forward to chatting when you get off work there in the UK
OK, so nothing like running before walking then :)

You will have a lot to learn!! It will help if you can give some idea of your level of knowledge and experience (I suspect the latter is little but ...). I hope you are prepared for a steep learning curve and probably a bit of pain in the process!! Believe me you are taking on two of the least forgiving aspects of fish-keeping!