PDA

View Full Version : Slime coat...normal, or problem?

krislewis3
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
After noticing my discus losing their slime coat this winter, I began aging my water, and was happy to see an immediate improvement, and all was fine for 6 weeks or so, until this week when I noticed quite a bit of slime coat floating around the tank. I've been adding prime to my aged water. Other than that, they are all healthy, lively, and eating well!! Please advise??? :confused. Kris

Elliots
03-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Kris, check the pH of your tank water and your change water. That could be the problem. When I have a big difference between the two I change 20-30% 5-7 times a week instead oif my usual 50-60% 3X weekly. I consider .5 to .6 pH difference enough to adjust my change regimen. I assume your water temps are close.

krislewis3
03-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Kris, check the pH of your tank water and your change water. That could be the problem. When I have a big difference between the two I change 20-30% 5-7 times a week instead oif my usual 50-60% 3X weekly. I consider .5 to .6 pH difference enough to adjust my change regimen. I assume your water temps are close.

Thanks for your help.....I checked the ph of tank and change water, both being the same......my tap water also tests the same! And yes, my water temps are close!! I don't get it!!!! I'm wondering if I should be adding so much prime to aged water??? Any more thoughts? Kris

Elliots
03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
I think I read on SD someone having trouble with Prime or the chemical you add to water to make Prime. It may be called Safe. How much Prime do you add? I personally think that if Prime does not combine with the stuff in your tank it is supposed to eliminate you have excess chemicals in the water. Unlike most people on SD I only add enough Prime equal to the amount of water I change not the entire tank volume. If you look at the stoichiometry after Prime eliminates what is supposed to eliminate the excess stays in your tank. Can the excess build up? What does the excess do? I do not know the answer to those questions. Quite a while ago I started a thread here that people use too much Prime and I was shouted down by the SD posters. It does appear that in very rare instances Prime can cause problems. The problems might also be due to poor manufacturing of Prime and Safe, the strenghts may vary, I do not know if they do. Like some things in life less can be more.