PDA

View Full Version : Time to spend some money!

Kimosobey
03-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Made a order of a few things i feel like i needed to start up my 120 discus tank! Ordered from Foster and Smith since they have good customer service and good pricing!

List of stuff!
Eheim Classic Canister 2217 (the kit)
Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters -Pro III - X2
Drs. Foster & Smith Live Nitrifying Bacteria
ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt (already have a 200 watt as a back up)
Flexible Airline Tubing - 25 ft
Lifegard Aquatics LED Digital Thermometer
Discus Buffer

Hopefully that will get my tank started with cycling! between the 3-5 it takes to cycle I have few other things i wanna try to get!

List:
API tap water filter, it's a step down from a RO system but looks like a good product and I hope I can give my discus a quality water!
Ph pin point - (so expensive but look well worth your money)
Nano circulation pump
A lighting system under $200

Also got to build a canopy! Which PlantedMN has a great video on one i like.

If my water parameters are good after cycling then i'll be placing 6-7 discus on order:o

Anything i'm missing? Nervous and hopefully i can get this right the first time so I don't lose any discus!

rickztahone
03-28-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't recall anyone using discus buffer before. This may have changed in the last few years but that product was never used when I was growing out discus.

F&S is good for a few things but they are a bit pricey from what I recall.

Kimosobey
03-28-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't recall anyone using discus buffer before. This may have changed in the last few years but that product was never used when I was growing out discus.

F&S is good for a few things but they are a bit pricey from what I recall.

Well as far as any LFS and Petco/Petsmart they were not bad at pricing. And as far as discus buffer... no clue why i got it:confused: It will be one of those things that will sit under the aquarium. Maybe i added it since I haven't read up on having Ph and how to get it stable.

Kimosobey
03-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Debating to make a video on the 2217 since there is not a single quality video on that particular filter!

4discusdude
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Is a wase of.money to buy tap water filter. Is more expensive then ro water. Every 50g n u need to replace the filter n the filter is like $30 each. Invest in ro unit is better

Kimosobey
03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Is a wase of.money to buy tap water filter. Is more expensive then ro water. Every 50g n u need to replace the filter n the filter is like $30 each. Invest in ro unit is better

Thanks! i need a real opinion instead of going off reviews! Think im on the right track with filtration?

adapted
03-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Discus Buffer works in combo with Seachem's Neutral Regulator to stabilize pH. In my early phase of using it, it's doing a good job heading off pH crashes... my water is so soft that without some kind of buffering it can easily drop to 5 with very little going on in the tank.

Len
03-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks! i need a real opinion instead of going off reviews! Think im on the right track with filtration?

Huge waste of money and very messy. I picked one up a couple years ago when a store was closing. It lasted a short time before the hose flew off the tap attachment and just made a mess. They also leak and the media doesn't last long. Honestly, save your money for something more useful.

Elliots
03-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Cory, you should have checked KensFish, a SD sponsor. Usually better prices than F & S plus no tax and no shipping with a minimum size order.I live in NYC my local sales tax is 8.875%. Now check Kens for lighting.

4discusdude
03-29-2014, 09:45 AM

Is really not a review but I did use couple years back when I just start keeping discus. I try discus buffer, tap water filter n even peat. Trying to get low ph with clean water n changing water everyday until the tap water filter start to going bad n need to replace at 50 g I like dang that was fast. So I do more search on sd find out that plain tap water with stable ph n discus will be happy n healthy.

nc0gnet0
03-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Eheim Classic Canister 2217 (the kit)
Fine ( I don't use them but many do)

Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters -Pro III - X2
Upgrade to pro V x2

Drs. Foster & Smith Live Nitrifying Bacteria

Why not just cycle your tank or purchase some pure aquarium from a sponsor?
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96202-PURE-AQUARIUM-bacteria-is-here

ETH In-Line Heater 300 watt (already have a 200 watt as a back up)
fine

Flexible Airline Tubing - 25 ft
fine

Lifegard Aquatics LED Digital Thermometer
Way over priced- try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-LCD-Digital-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Thermometer-Water-Temperature-Sensor-/111201589150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e421979e

Discus Buffer
Waste of money unless you have incredibly soft water.

nc0gnet0
03-29-2014, 10:37 AM
API tap water filter, it's a step down from a RO system but looks like a good product and I hope I can give my discus a quality water!
It's also complete junk and a complete waste of money. I have one of these that came with a craigslist aquarium I picked up, lasted for about 200 gallons of water. All it is is some di resin and some AC in a flow through canister. Poorly constructed as well. MUCH better off going with an RO unit if you need anything at all.

Ph pin point - (so expensive but look well worth your money)
I see no need for this unless your going for a planted tank with c02 injection, in which case I highly advise you learn to walk before you learn to run.

Nano circulation pump
NO need for this, the x2 hydro sponges and eheim canister will provide all the circulation you need.

A lighting system under $200
What are your plans for the tank itself? biotope, planted, or barebottom?

nc0gnet0
03-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Assuming you don't already have these items, here is what you missed.

Air pump
water storage container
pump for water changes (or a python or similar, your going to be changing a lot of water)
hoses for filling tank
api master test kit
TDS meter (optional but imo a better investment then your ph meter)

Other possible options:

heater controller

Dr. Fosters and Smith is not bad for most items and do offer free shipping on orders over $50.00

Kimosobey
03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Assuming you don't already have these items, here is what you missed.

Air pump
water storage container
pump for water changes (or a python or similar, your going to be changing a lot of water)
hoses for filling tank
api master test kit
TDS meter (optional but imo a better investment then your ph meter)

Other possible options:

heater controller

Dr. Fosters and Smith is not bad for most items and do offer free shipping on orders over $50.00

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it

The python would be probably the next thing on order! The ehiem 2217 kit comes with a eheim automatic fish feeder, a quick vac pro and a jagr 250 watt heater. The filter alone is $150 on F&S so their almost the same as anywhere else.

I plan on using a preexisting filter pad for cycling this tank. If the pad is dried out does that make a difference? Would the bacteria be dead? (if so i can use one from a running tank)

I do have plenty of extra stuff from previous tanks like hoses, 5 air pumps (since it seems like they always end up being louder then expected), I'm looking to pick up a 55 plastic barrel for water storage, already picked up a api test kit. The TDS meter is something i'll look into! Do you use that exact one?

Also im glad i took the tap water filter out of my cart!!:D Looks like ill be saving myself some money. Any other additives i should consider?

Kimosobey
03-29-2014, 12:22 PM
The tank will be barebottom for awhile until I know for a fact I can keep these fish healthy and learn more about them. I'll have a large piece of driftwood in there too. As far as lights go, i'll first need to build my canopy and then ill start looking at lights maybe ill go the cheapest route by going too homedepot or lowes for some lights.

nc0gnet0
03-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Also im glad i took the tap water filter out of my cart!! Looks like ill be saving myself some money. Any other additives i should consider

Most additives are snake oil, just plenty of good clean water is all that is usually needed. Be nice to know your water parameters however.

I plan on using a preexisting filter pad for cycling this tank. If the pad is dried out does that make a difference? Would the bacteria be dead? (if so i can use one from a running tank)

Yeah most likely they will all be dead. You can add material from another tank, by why run the risk? Better to start new, and cycle the tank.One you have a known safe, disease fee DISCUS tank, than using media from an existing DISCUS tank is fine. Most of the sponsors here will also sell you a cycled sponge to get you started when you purchase fish from them.