PDA

View Full Version : Monster fish guys r super cheap discus buyers?

dkeef
04-01-2014, 12:33 AM
I dont know if u guys notice but i think monster fish guys looking for discus have max purchase price of $50 per discus no matter what kind it is.
And they dont seem to care about football or stunted. As long as they r big somehow. Is this the right stereotype? Lol.

Skip
04-01-2014, 12:55 AM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131206041414/freerealmswarriorcats/images/thumb/b/b7/3167760-jack_sparrow_wut_by_zackfair1219-d4117e5.jpg/500px-3167760-jack_sparrow_wut_by_zackfair1219-d4117e5.jpg

dkeef
04-01-2014, 01:16 AM
Monster fish keepers. Its another forum.
Ppl often look for discus there.

s14swap240sx
04-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Has a lot to do putting something for sale in the right place, breaking down my salt water I got what I feel is top dollar, and fair pricing selling my reef stuff on reefcentral, and manhattan reefs.

I wouldn't expect as many people on mfk or even here to appreciate a one year old vertex skimmer as much as those guys would.

same applies to the drift wood business.. good luck selling a piece of wood for 20-30 dollars on reef central, but on planted tank its a deal!

and the worst, bottom of the barrel would be craigslist, anything you list for sale expect to get absolutely torn apart on, forum members have a rep to uphold, and it always less likely to get low balled or something when an actual public forum name is associated to an offer. it says a lot about someone!

BODYDUB
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't just label it to MFK. I would label it to people who are ignorant to discus................

Bill63SG
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM
I gotta agre with th OP somewhat.Have had guys with stingrays want discus so something is swimming in the upper regions of thier tank.Dont care about shape,just wanted what I had the cheapest.

dkeef
04-01-2014, 07:36 PM
thing is im seeing MFK guys who would say great deal on $200 for flowehorn etc but then when it comes to discus, they never wanna spend more than $50.
its like discus enthusiasts who want asian arowana for price of silver arowana with dropeye.

MKD
04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
they just don't see the beauty and value of discus.

Ryan
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
They aren't primarily discus hobbyists. They aren't looking for the same things discus hobbyists are looking for. I'd never spend $1,000 on a flowerhorn or $10,000 on a koi but those people exist and that is their passion.

I'm really not sure what that has to do with anything, though. It doesn't say anything about them other than the fact that they're not in the market for high dollar discus.

winn0923
04-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Same thing even among us SD folks… Some is willing to pay 400+ for a nice wild discus, while the other will not be willing to pay more than 100, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I got some 12" uaru from my local fish forum for $40 for a pop, while Jeff Rapps has them listed for $100 for a 5" (actually 3.5-4" when I measured it). You get my point.

evabug1
04-02-2014, 12:44 AM
I would say discus owners are in the minority on MFK. Usually they are people just getting their feet wet. I love MFK! Lots of great information and everything else on a wide variety of fish there.

paulW
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I gotta agre with th OP somewhat.Have had guys with stingrays want discus so something is swimming in the upper regions of thier tank.Dont care about shape,just wanted what I had the cheapest.

In their defense though. That's ok. They want the discus to basically be dithers.
This forum seems analogous to the people that breed fancy guppies for show vs people that just breed fancy guppies for enjoyment.
The "show" people are looking for the best of the best and the stuff they cull is like 100X better than what is sold in the pet shops.
Then there's other guppy hobbist that are less concerned about the dorsal fin being a perfect parallelogram, etc.

Be glad there's people on MFK that are trying discus. Some of them will eventually get more serious and take the next step.
It's kind of nice that there is a way for them to get started on discus on a budget.

Honesty, I have not kept discus yet, but my first group will probably be an inexpensive group of juveniles from a local breeder, and I probably won't even be picky about the strain. After I grow those out, and get some experience (and if I like it), then I will try something fancier and more expensive..

runninlow
04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm not cheap..i am a monster fish guy..Alot of the reason why some on there buy discus is cause alot of the monster fish live in the same type of water discus does.

rickztahone
04-29-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm not cheap..i am a monster fish guy..Alot of the reason why some on there buy discus is cause alot of the monster fish live in the same type of water discus does.

Makes sense. We welcome any and all members from any forum ;)

brewmaster15
04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Its probably got alot to do with experience levels with Discus. When someone first tries discus...price is a huge factor.... next is availibility. Most novices here find their first discus locally at pet shops or hobby breeders... few at that point even know about all the strains we have availible in our hobby. Some are inexpensive and common and others more rare and expensive. I would personally pay 3-5 times more for some strains and qualities over others bacause I understand what these are to me and the hobby, and can justify the price diffference. A novice to Discus...no matter how experienced with other fish doesn't have the experience set to do this....in time.. they may.

example... I can get bunnies practically free on craigslist.. but when I was looking for a family pet a few years ago, I spent alot of time learning about rabbits, and settled on a more expensive Flemmish Giant with papers... cost me $75 . Pretty crazy huh? There were far more expensive Breeds out there, but my comfort zone and experiences told me $50-75 was about alls I would be comfortable with.

-al