PDA

View Full Version : Questions about discus pair

andyl9063
04-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I have two blue diamond. Seem like one is a male and female. They occasionally chase each other around in my display tank with other discus. How do I know for sure if they're a pair and put them in a tank by themselves or wait for them to spawn first?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rdiscus
04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Better wait for them to breed, and you will know if you get pair for sure ... Now I don't like each other, why do you need to move them ...

Nick Klimkowski
04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Better wait for them to breed, and you will know if you get pair for sure ... Now I don't like each other, why do you need to move them ...

Ryan is right, if you do want to breed then leave them in the tank for a few spawns and then move them to a separate tank.

andyl9063
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Well they're in a planted community tank with other discus. They do their shakes and dances for about four months now, but nothing. Would planted co2 tank affect anything?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

du3ce
04-04-2014, 12:57 AM
my pair always spawn after a water change i lower the water temp a degree or two,

andyl9063
04-04-2014, 08:15 AM
i keep them at 82. Any other conditions?
Are there times when the female will never accept the male?

John_Nicholson
04-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Discus breed in planted tanks all the time. While they may be a pair they could alos be two males. Right now you have no real clue. Just be patient.

-john

andyl9063
04-04-2014, 08:38 AM
any good way to really identify if I have a female or male?
Also will discus interbred with other types, like a blue diamond with a pigeon blood? or they just stick to their color?

John_Nicholson
04-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Don't want to sound harsh but these topics have been discussed literally 100's of times on here already. Just judging from your post you sound a little green in your discus knowledge. I would suggest doing some searches and really reading up on the topics. It will teach you more then you can imagine.

-john

andyl9063
04-04-2014, 01:19 PM
i guess i found all the information I need.
No definite way to really tell if they're male or female.
I'll leave them in the tank further to see.

Skip
04-04-2014, 02:32 PM
any good way to really identify if I have a female or male?

Andrew Soh, famous discus breeder and author would say ...Best way, "CHOP>> CUT".. and look inside..

Also will discus interbred with other types, like a blue diamond with a pigeon blood?

yes.. but fry will be peppered.. and NOT desirable..

or they just stick to their color?
they don't care about color.. or sex of other fish, sometimes..

andyl9063
04-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Andrew Soh, famous discus breeder and author would say ...Best way, "CHOP>> CUT".. and look inside..

yes.. but fry will be peppered.. and NOT desirable..

they don't care about color.. or sex of other fish, sometimes..

thanks. I will wait and see what happen.