PDA

View Full Version : Ways to prevent cross contamination in fishroom

dkeef
04-04-2014, 08:00 PM
so if u run multiple tanks in fishroom, do u normally get all separate nets for each tanks?
or can we get few and just keep it dipped in PP or meth blue solution(like wholesalers) between each tanks?
whats the best way?

Larry Bugg
04-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I put my hand/arm from tank to tank.............why worry about the net?

JmDiscuss
04-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Same here, and I just rinse in hot water

Bill63SG
04-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I kinda have "quadrents,and I have separate hose's and nets for certain groups of tanks.Juvies,pairs,grow-outs,etc.And I will try and wash my hands/arms when I switch.That being said,I have been on a roll and gone from tank to tank and forgotten Im using the same hose,lol.

Bud Smith
04-05-2014, 08:19 AM
I do not switch tank equipment - rinse what net I am using - IMO washing your hands is the key

Nick Klimkowski
04-05-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't worry about it, unless I get something new in and I am quarantining it. Then I will dip my nets in salt water.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2014, 09:02 AM
If you have a normal routine and do regular maintenance on your equipment, you shouldn't have to worry about cross contamination.

If you have meds in a QT tank, then only use equipment for that tank. That would be the only thing I would not reuse in my regular tanks (ie; nets, hoses, equipment, your hands without washing them).

dkeef
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
My plan is to have various freshwater fish. African cichlids, angelfish tetra community, discus tank, sa/ca cichlids, aros.
Im more concerned about discus catchinf something from others.

DC Discus
04-05-2014, 12:13 PM
We use a old ice chest full of Povidone Iodine 10% Solution (around 4-5 cups iodine for 10-15 gallons of water) and soak the nets and siphon hoses in it for 15 minutes. You can get it at most country feed stores, as it's used to clean horses/stalls. Aquatic Ecosystem sells it, but it's more expensive since it's buffered for use in treating eggs. I run the concentration in the cooler to where I just can't see the bottom, usually last several months. Careful with your floors and clothes, also your net will be stained a light yellow. We have coated concert floors and the iodine dip next to a utility sink.

Cheers,
DC

dkeef
04-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Anyone use pp for dip station?
Pp is so cheap to make and use.

Ryan
04-05-2014, 01:16 PM
If all your fish are quarantined properly and they are healthy, it shouldn't matter. My discus are in my fish room with all my West African and South American cichlids and I've never had a problem. I use the same nets, put my hands from tank to tank, etc.

But all new fish that come into my house are quarantined in a totally separate room with totally separate hoses, buckets, and so on.

dkeef
04-05-2014, 02:54 PM
If all your fish are quarantined properly and they are healthy, it shouldn't matter. My discus are in my fish room with all my West African and South American cichlids and I've never had a problem. I use the same nets, put my hands from tank to tank, etc.

But all new fish that come into my house are quarantined in a totally separate room with totally separate hoses, buckets, and so on.

whats yur QT procedures?

Len
04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Anyone use pp for dip station?
Pp is so cheap to make and use.

I'd be careful using pp for a dip. Things like nets or anything foam it will rot pretty quickly.

Bill63SG
04-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I'd be careful using pp for a dip. Things like nets or anything foam it will rot pretty quickly.

yep,pp is basically a corrosive that we water down.

timmy82
04-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I would set up a QT in seperate area and only use what you have in QT to stay their. I would do some preventative treatments in QT if you are going to put angels ect in with discus as they can carry alot of bugs and not show it and the discus will be the first to drop. As for nets and equipment ect I keep nets and hoses in same areas but are shared over a few tanks. If there is a problem in 1 tank i isolate the equipment to just that tank. Being too sterile can make your fish weak and more likely to get sick. Once a month i treat them in a strong clorine solution and then rinse and then in a closed barrel i run ozone in the water to make sure they 100% clean.

Susie
04-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Please clarify that you do NOT treat the fish in a strong chlorine solution. Thanks!

yim11
04-16-2014, 11:58 PM

This is exactly what I would have posted minus that West/South American stuff LOL.