PDA

View Full Version : Eating habits

amonta1995
04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I notice my one discus is not eating as aggressively as normal. It's almost as if it's not really hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick Klimkowski
04-05-2014, 08:51 AM
What are you feeding? How often are you doing water changes?

DiscusLoverJeff
04-05-2014, 09:08 AM
There is a lot of information needed in order to help. As Nick mentioned, "What are you feeding? How often are you doing water changes?"

But also, what size tank? How many fish in the tank? What size are the fish? What are your water parameters, including temp?

This information can help access your situation.

amonta1995
04-06-2014, 07:48 AM
I feed it blood worms, and Hans flakes, I do 50%water changed an I have a 20g running right now since my discus are small, I only have 2 in my take and they are best friends. There is no competition or dominance at all. I have a few rummy noses and clown loach. Could I be over feeding the fish?

DiscusLoverJeff
04-06-2014, 08:59 AM
You could be overfeeding but you will eventually need to get a bigger tank and more discus. They really should be in groups of 5 or more.

You can try to reduce your feeding and see what happens. My guess is the other fish could be too quick in that small of a tank and making the discus nervous.

amonta1995
04-06-2014, 10:30 AM
The thing is all the fish have been in there for months and my discus just started this a few days ago

DiscusLoverJeff
04-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I would still suggest getting a bigger tank and more discus.

With all due respect, many young discus lovers make the same mistake by buying a couple discus, keeping them cooped up in a 20, 30 gallon tank with other fish and a couple months later, are here asking why they are having issues. It all stems from lack of knowledge about the proper care of raising discus. Not to say it is a bad thing, it is just my opinion that people jump before they have all the facts about caring for discus.