PDA

View Full Version : Prime remove Ammonia

JmDiscuss
04-05-2014, 10:42 PM
OK,I got to be doing something wrong here, after seeing all the reviews and everyone here seem to use Prime for water changes.. I finished my bottle of API Tap water conditioner. so I went and bought a bottle of prime. Here is why I think I am doing something wrong, I took a sample of tap water, with out any prime and I have a ammonia reading of 0.50. First is this normal out of the tap? (will call my city water company to see what they say). I know tap water has some ammonia in it, is this a high number? so then I put some prime in a gallon of water ( 20 drops = 1 ml of prime) and did my test again, and still 0.50 ammonia. do I need to let this sit over night or does prime work to neutralize ammonia instantly? What's SD thoughts has anyone done a test on this or other products, or do we just trust we are getting what they say. Hey are president lies to us ( "If you want to keep your health plan you can keep it" "if you want to keep your doctor you can keep them" LOL) Just curious.

Jerry

Discusdude7
04-05-2014, 10:51 PM
It turns ammonia into a less toxic form (called ammonium I believe) that's not harmfull for the fish and can still be processed by the bio filter. That's why even if you dose prime it still shows up on the Test as ammonia being present. As far as I know it does work instantly and the dosing instructions for ammonia may be different than for the dosing instructions for chlorine.

JmDiscuss
04-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Thank you I kind of thought it would still show up, do you think the tap water Ammonia amount is high?

Discusdude7
04-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Thank you I kind of thought it would still show up, do you think the tap water Ammonia amount is high?

Did you make sure your test kit wasn't expired when you tested? I once kept testing a tank and was getting false ammo levels because test kit was expired. IMO it's high.

100fuegos
04-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Ammonia in your tap water indicates your city water comp uses chloramines. It is normal and becoming popular now days. Prime does not remove ammonia, it detoxifies it making it non toxic to your fish but still available for your bio filter.

Enviado desde mi SM-T310 mediante Tapatalk

JmDiscuss
04-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Test kit is new, I think what everyone been's saying it makes it non toxic. That is good to know

Thanks Everyone

Jerry and his Discus

Sandy Clay
04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
I was thinking some one told me you have to use a seachem test kit if you use Prime. Other test kits will show Ammonia when it's not there. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Elliots
04-07-2014, 12:34 PM
If you use Prime you must use a specific test kit for ammonia. I think it is Seachem brand. If you search SD you will find out which kit it is or contact Seachem. You may also try to google the information.

seanyuki
04-09-2014, 01:20 PM
HTH

Re: many opinions on prime here is the fact

Post #83 (I hope Bugman aka Larry does not mind me copy and paste this).

For what it is worth, I heard back from my contact at Seachem. Here is his reply. Pretty much what has already been stated by a lot of people here.

Hey Larry,

Sorry I am just getting back to you, I have been out of the office at a show. We are very happy to sponsor such events and I am gladd that it was a success. Just wish I could have made it, especially for the auction!

To address the dosing of water conditioners, we must first look at how they function. All water dechlor or conditioners function by employing a reducing agent. This compound reduces and binds with assorted molecules to render them harmless. In the case of chlorine, a reducing agent will break the bond between the two atoms resulting in two chloride atoms. The same happens with chloramine only this results in three chloride atoms and a nitrogen. Most conditioners, especially Prime and Safe, also bind with other compounds to render them harmless. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are just a few of the common compounds that are effected. So, when you add Prime to a solution containing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and chlorine, some of the Prime will break apart the chlorine and some will bind with the other compounds. So, if you are doing a water change in a tank that contains a fair amount of nitrate or some other compound, some of the conditioner will be utilized to detoxify these and will not be available to break apart the chlorine or chloramine. If you treat the water before adding it to the aquarium, the conditioner will remove any of the chlorine and chloramine. Any remaining conditioner will then bind with other compounds when added to the tank.

So... if adding water to the tank before treating, it is best to treat for the volume of the entire aquarium. This ensures that there is enough of the conditioner available to remove any chlorine or chloramine, without being effected by any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate currently in the water. Think of it this way, when treating water before adding it to the tank, there are less harmful compounds to be detoxified. When adding it to the tank first, the conditioner will have more than just chlorine and chloramine to detoxify and therefore will require a larger dose. With Prime and Safe being as concentrated as they are, this typically requires little product but, is a great way to ensure your fish are safe.

unquote.