PDA

View Full Version : Genetics: S. haraldi x S. aequifasciata fertility

Dutch dude
04-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Hi there,

Recently I posted here about a cross between a Lago Amana green discus and a Nhamunda red discus. Both are wild fish. The post was moved to the "wild" section and plan was to gain both info about such a cross and make some sort of log. This might be to much for 1 topic so that's the reason I posted here again.

I have a bunch of questions and I hope someone can help me out.

1) did someone on this board have first hand experience of crossing a S. haraldi with S. aequifasciata en how did things worked out with fertility

2) did someone on this board knows someone with such a cross (I'm particular interested in wilds).

3) does any one have a picture of a cross between wild S. haraldi and wild S. aequifasciata,...if so,...please post it in this topic (-:

Thanks in advantage.

By the way,...this topic will be mainly a log on the progress of the F1
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113302-F1-Lago-Amana-Green-x-Nhamunda-Red

timmy82
04-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Will be good to see the F1. There are some good wild enthusiest here and some really good gentic people too Rod is brilliant in that department.

John_Nicholson
04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Recent DNA studies of wild fish point to there only being 2 types of discus geneticlly. The "normal: discus and the Heckle with is a sub species. You should not have any issues "mixing" the types. What you are producing are not hybrids. They are simply different colors. Just like breeding a sorrel horse to a black horse. You are still going to get a horse.

-john

Dutch dude
04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi John,...he thats a big surprise!!! From brown, blue, red, green and heckel down to "S. haraldi" and S. discus! I didn't see that one coming and didn't read anything about it. I guess I should have visited the board more often in the last couple of years. Can you provide more info about the study? Is it online for example?

Thanks so much for this info!

John_Nicholson
04-06-2014, 04:41 PM
It was presented at the ACA in Baltimore a few years back. I do not remember the name of the folks that did the study abut I will see if I can dig it up.

-john

Dutch dude
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
John,....but this isn't widely accepted (in the hobby) yet or does it? This is the first time I heard about it. How did Heiko handled this ;)

John_Nicholson
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I think it was a researcher at the University of Georgia but google did not offer up his name. Very few hobbyist now even basic genetics, they are certaintly not reading scientific studies.

-john

Dutch dude
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi John,....I'm one of the hobbyist who doesn't know much about genetics as well and up until now I didn't need to. I am interested in new discoveries. I was interested in the "new specie of discus S. tarzoo a couple of years ago and a lot of people did. That is why I'm so amazed no one seems to be interested in the study you mentioned. Is it discuses on SD for example? If anyone can point me to the study, please do.

This puts things in a different perspective and indeed I don't have hybrids. That's good news (-:

Now for the second part of my question,....does anybody breed (formally) wild haraldy x aequifasciata and have some pics available?

Dutch dude
04-07-2014, 11:43 AM
The talk was presented by Ken Davis at the ACA in Baltimore in 2011. He was not the researcher that did the DNA studies but he did present the information. There were very few serious discus keepers there. You might see if you can find the information through him.

-john

Dutch dude
04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your help John,...I'll dig into it