PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop water system

timmy82
04-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Has anyone here ran or had expierence with a closed loop water system in discus breeding systems?
I am moving from a town water supply to a rain tank water supply. The rain fall is ok and we have a 80K tank at the minute but want to make do with a system so as to not un needingly discharge water if I can set up a functional system to get some reuse without compromise of health and growth. I am looking at using an ozone processor and other steps of filtration in the loop to bring the water back to neuatral and then will have to remineralise it to some extent too.
Please comment your thoughts and learnings I am looking to add another 69k of water storage off the over flow of the 80k.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
If you "Google" Closed loop water system, there are some interesting reads regarding this topic. Most though are from people with reef tanks to increase water flow (not filtration).

Now if you are adding a sump, it is technically not a closed loop system. You want to filter, aerate the water then a sump is in line with what you need. Keeping the water as clean as possible is very important for discus.

Hope you find what you are looking for.