PDA

View Full Version : help/comments required- flared gills

satt71
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi friends
I started up a new 210G tank a month back and adding 12 discus in the last 2 weeks from 2 different vendors (8 & 4). These are 5 + inches discus. The last 4 I added were a week back. These were 2 pigeons and 2 albino blue diamond. Couple of days back, I found that 1 of the pigeon and 1 of the albino blue diamond have flared gill on one side and breathing heavily when I put on the lights. I called this seller and asked if I had picked the fish with flared gill when I picked them. They came back saying that the flared gill was due to water parameters. I had been in this hobby for long to understand that the flaring does not happen in 1 week. Also all the other 10 discus are doing fine. Here are the water parameters.

- issue – one side of the gill protruding
- temp is 86F ; ph 8.0, city well water and with pool filter sand as substrate, water not aged and 20% water changes every three days
- ammonia reading is 0
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading <5

Here are the videos..kindly send me your thoughts. Need this to talk to the seller.

Here is the pigeon with right gill

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/sandhyamanish71/th_IMG_0016_zpsed02f1ad.jpg (http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/sandhyamanish71/IMG_0016_zpsed02f1ad.mp4)

here is the albino with left gill

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/sandhyamanish71/th_IMG_0022_zps9de344db.jpg (http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/sandhyamanish71/IMG_0022_zps9de344db.mp4)

Elliots
04-07-2014, 06:29 PM
I thiink I had a similar problem. It looks like the gill lining is protruding. I guessed flukes but I could be wrong. I treated with more and larger water changes along with metro and prazi. They are available together and I think that is called quick cure, check the labels. It took almost two weeks and multiple treatments before the fish were back to normal. I often give repeated doses of medication when the fish might contine to get better without the multiple treatments.

Chicago Discus
04-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Dear Sathish,

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the seller of these discus. It just takes a few posts back to figure out where they came from. They came from our Hatchery in Chicago. The four discus that you purchased from our hatchery were in great shape when you hand picked them out in person, put them in your tank, and raved about the great fish you received from us. You took photos and posted them in another thread, and wrote how great the fish were and how wonderful your experience was.

Being an "Experienced Discus keeper" as you mentioned to everyone on this thread, you forgot to mention that you received eight other discus, new plants, and other tank mates only days apart and a few days before adding our fish, without quarantining even one time.

Following your other thread it looks like you got your tank filled up with water for the first time on March 10, 2014 http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112634-3d-background-aquamaniac-atg-scape/page2 Then you started putting plants in on March 13, 2014, and you received your first shipment of discus and put them in the tank on March 16, 2014. You placed your discus in a 220 gallon tank that was up and running for 6 days.

On March 28, 2014, only days after your first shipment from another source, you purchased the four discus from us without telling us where they were going, or the environment they were going to. You implied you were an experienced discus keeper, and we took you at face value. Shame on us! Ok, so lets think about this... March 10, you fill the tank up, put plants in the tank from different sources, six days later you add 8 discus from one source, and then 12 days later you add our discus in the same tank with no quarantining of any fish or plants. I'm sure you can find other threads on the forum on how to properly cycle a tank and properly quarantine fish and plants.

Now with all that going on, you clearly state that you do water changes
20% water changes every three days. With that said, how in the world can your water parameters be -
ammonia reading is 0
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading <5
Do you have some secret that you can share with all of us about how you can take a freshly started 220 gallon tank, add plants, tankmates, sand substrate, and discus from two different sources, and then change only 20 percent of the water every three days and have perfect water parameters. I don't think so.

You send an email to my Aunt Miranda after she had been trying to work with you since the discus that you purchased from us started having issues, and you basically shot down everything she tried to tell you about water parameters and quarantining. You mentioned in an email today that one of the Albino Blue Diamonds died and you wanted her to take back the remaining fish and give you a refund. You said would be kind enough to take back only 75% of what you paid for them. Yesterday you called up my aunt and purchased another discus from us that you just had to have. You would be by this weekend to collect the fish. Very interesting....

Well, ok, now that I'm up to date on the ins and outs of what's been going on here, you may not purchase another fish from us. The discus that you purchased yesterday has already been refunded to you. As far as the four fish you purchased from us on March 28, 2014, almost two weeks ago, I'm sorry we cannot refund your money. We had no control of how you took care of fish you had in your possession for almost two weeks, or the environment that you put them in. You hand picked the four discus that you purchased from us and they were healthy, eating and active without any issues when you purchased them.

Since you brought this to the forum's attention, I am responding to you on the forum, and not privately to you.

Sincerely,
Josephine Christopher
Chicago Discus

farebox
04-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Dear fellow discus keeper, listen to Josie advise. I made the same huge mistake a few years ago with new fish. You just can not mixed new fish/pants/tank all at once. Wish you the best with the rest,start by doing daily 50% WC. I'm no expert, so will not state on meds. Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcsb23
04-11-2014, 04:13 AM
I have closed this thread.

I will not allow the forum to be used as a tool to gather ammunition to attack a supplier - ANY SUPPLIER. It is clear from the opening post that was the intention.

Issues such as this need to be addressed directly with the supplier, having a "he said/she said" public spat will only lead to misery and is always counter productive.