PDA

View Full Version : Are these guys stunted??

nizfactor
04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Hello all,

Recently got these three 1.5-2" babies from a local breeder. I'm pretty new to discus, so before I order some 'better' fish, I wanted to make sure that these guys were stunted. The things that indicate possible stunting are the large eyes, color for their size, and their overall shape. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks a ton,
Noah

http://s740.photobucket.com/user/discus12345/media/image-9_zps9dd8ce3e.jpeg.html

Bill63SG
04-08-2014, 06:34 AM
You got it,coloring up,patteren,football shape,larger eyes.Stunted.

Second Hand Pat
04-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi Noah, yes they are. The large eye to body ratio and football shape of the one in the second picture are your indications. Please also note that these guys are also thin. Note the pinched forehead, especially in the first picture.

Also let me encourage you to do a bunch of reading here about selection and care of very young discus. You will find we recommend a group of no less then six as they do best in groups. Are feed several times a day in a bare bottom tank with large daily water changes. The reason for using a bare bottom tank is it is easier to clean and maintain good water quality with the mess the fish create with all the feeding.
Pat

wild-blue-discus
04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
oew yep they look stunted, if your local breeder is reputable take them back, and ask for an exchange especially if you paid a reasonable price, i'm surprised they would sell them like that.

Hello all,

Recently got these three 1.5-2" babies from a local breeder. I'm pretty new to discus, so before I order some 'better' fish, I wanted to make sure that these guys were stunted. The things that indicate possible stunting are the large eyes, color for their size, and their overall shape. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks a ton,
Noah

http://s740.photobucket.com/user/discus12345/media/image-9_zps9dd8ce3e.jpeg.html

Nick Klimkowski
04-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Yes they are stunted.

kkdiscus
04-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Really bad for the local seller to sell such fish to you.

Skip
04-08-2014, 10:09 AM
the brown fish on left is the most stunted.. the other one.. is also stunted.. the PB does not AS look stunted as others..

Chad Adams
04-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Sorry my friend, these are very low quality fish. Hopefully you get resolved amicably.

Chad

SMB2
04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
As you are new to Discus, the other option is to keep them and move them to a BB tank, sponge filter etc and do many feedings/day with large volume water changes daily.
See what happens. Use them as Guinea pigs so that when you get reasonable young fish you will have a routine down. Also may let you decide if raising young fish is for you or if you want to go for 5(+) inch fish next time.

nizfactor
04-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Hi Noah, yes they are. The large eye to body ratio and football shape of the one in the second picture are your indications. Please also note that these guys are also thin. Note the pinched forehead, especially in the first picture.

Also let me encourage you to do a bunch of reading here about selection and care of very young discus. You will find we recommend a group of no less then six as they do best in groups. Are feed several times a day in a bare bottom tank with large daily water changes. The reason for using a bare bottom tank is it is easier to clean and maintain good water quality with the mess the fish create with all the feeding.
Pat
I had a planted tank right before I got the discus, and yesterday I took all of the the gravel out. I plan to be doing 4+ high quality feedings a day (beefheart, black worms etc.), and 50% WC a day. I will also be getting 5 more 2.5 inch discus from either Hans or Kenny. Would you recommend one over the other? I have also gotten rid of the leopard skin and blue diamond leaving me with only the pigeon blood. Since the PB is only 2", would it be better for me to wait a month or so until he/she is 3" before ordering the new ones, or not worry about the size difference at all, and just order them now?

Really bad for the local seller to sell such fish to you.
I should have done more research before buying them. I didn't pay that much though ($50 for all 3), so I'm not too upset. I have definitely learned my lesson though.

As you are new to Discus, the other option is to keep them and move them to a BB tank, sponge filter etc and do many feedings/day with large volume water changes daily.
See what happens. Use them as Guinea pigs so that when you get reasonable young fish you will have a routine down. Also may let you decide if raising young fish is for you or if you want to go for 5(+) inch fish next time.
I plan to be doing 4+ high quality feedings a day (beefheart, black worms etc.), and 50% WC a day. I understand that a sponge filter has a lot of surface area for bacteria, but would a canister and/or a HOB be sufficient as well?

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Noah, I would suggest going ahead the buying the fish now. Both Hans and Kenny have excellent reputations here so you can not go wrong with either. I hate to suggest this but consider culling your last PB and totally sanitize your tank...ie start over. This way you will not have to QT your new fish and they will all be from one source. It is just not worth the risk mixing two sources with the one fish you have left.
Pat

John_Nicholson
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I would sterilize everything and start fresh.

-john

nizfactor
04-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I would sterilize everything and start fresh.

-john
John, I'm aware that your a breeder, and I live in Dallas so we aren't too far. Do you have anything available ATM?

Noah, I would suggest going ahead the buying the fish now. Both Hans and Kenny have excellent reputations here so you can not go wrong with either. I hate to suggest this but consider culling your last PB and totally sanitize your tank...ie start over. This way you will not have to QT your new fish and they will all be from one source. It is just not worth the risk mixing two sources with the one fish you have left.
Pat

Thanks very much Pat as well as all others who have helped!
Noah

yim11
04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
John, I'm aware that your a breeder, and I live in Dallas so we aren't too far. Do you have anything available ATM?

Someone in the metroplex sold you those fish!?

nc0gnet0
04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Someone in the metroplex sold you those fish!?

Get the group together, I think a good caning might be in order!

nizfactor
04-09-2014, 08:03 PM
You guys are too funny!! :D Am I allowed to say what store it was on here? I'm very disappointed and feel that it should be known.

Bill63SG
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
You guys are too funny!! :D Am I allowed to say what store it was on here? I'm very disappointed and feel that it should be known.

If you feel that strongly,there is a livestock and product review section you could post in.you do have first hand experience.

nc0gnet0
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM

I thought you said it was a local breeder?

nizfactor
04-09-2014, 11:26 PM
He also has a small storefront (not for discus), but breeds them in his office.

nizfactor
04-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Do you have any fish for sale?

John_Nicholson
04-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Rick is not local he is in MI. Technically speaking though he does have some fish at Jim's.....I guess for that matter he has some fish at my place also.....LOL.

-john

nc0gnet0
04-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Rick is not local he is in MI. Technically speaking though he does have some fish at Jim's.....I guess for that matter he has some fish at my place also.....LOL.

-john

LMAO, I am expanding! This is what happens when you run out of tank space. Besides, boarding fish is a lot work then keeping them yourself.

-Rick

Elliots
04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
If you have not had your fish long your local breeder should take them back. If he does not you have learned Discus lesson one. Buy from a reputable breeder. You are new to Discus, unlike some people on this site I would not reccommend culling them now. If you are good and more important lucky, try to grow them out with many feedings and larger water changes more often. See how you do on these fish, if you cannot return them your cost is essentially nothing. You need to read a lot more on SD, tens of hours or more. If you are unhappy with how these fish turn out cull them then. Experience is the best teacher. Cull them, sterilize the tank and start over. The difference between Kenny and Hans is simple. You are not close enough to either to visit and pick out your fish so check Hans' web site and Kenny's website or SD postings. See whose fish you like the look of and buy from either. It is best to buy at least five Discus to start with, buy them all at once from one source. Both give top quality fish, top quality shipping and top quality advice if needed. If you are hesitant to buy fish by mail, do not worry, they come overnight ussally without any problems. You cannot do better than Kenny or Hans but you can probably do as well. Please buy from an SD sponsor. Both Kenny and Hans are SD sponsors.