PDA

View Full Version : What you guys of this UV strelizer that was just release by Aqueon?

farzadkavari
04-08-2014, 09:32 AM
This is a BRAND NEW product that was release by Aqueon which I believe is the first HOB UV sterilizer in the market. They come in 9 & 18watt size. This could be convenient as almost all UV sterilizers are either in-line or submersible. I also like the idea that it comes with a nice adjustable flow pump. Thoughts? Has anyone tried it yet?

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/21/aqueon-quietflow-uv-marries-sterilization-power-filter/

rickztahone
04-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I've always thought of UV sterilzers as SW accessories. Do people use them in FW tanks? I'd be interested if it would be beneficial for FW tanks as well. Thanks for the link.

winn0923
04-08-2014, 03:57 PM
You can use it for fw, people use it in pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickztahone
04-08-2014, 04:50 PM
You can use it for fw, people use it in pond

Good to know. Is it as effective in FW as in SW? Or is it more beneficial in SW and that is why us FW people don't hear much mention of it in our systems? I'm also assuming with all the water changes that we do, the need for a UV sterilizer might not be as important.

kwan8911
04-08-2014, 05:06 PM
uv can kill the algae and bacteria which usually the reason for green or cloudy water. Water can be crystal clear with uv, even when you are late on wc. I used it on my discus tank and the water is always as clear as it can be .

LKSDiscus
04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
uv can kill the algae and bacteria which usually the reason for green or cloudy water. Water can be crystal clear with uv, even when you are late on wc. I used it on my discus tank and the water is always as clear as it can be .

I also use one and keeps water crystal clear mine is the aqueoun inline and works great

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wes
04-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Rick posted a website that has the best info on uv that I have ever seen.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113388-UV-sterilizer Post #2

Blackdog2
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Where did you find it for sale? I cant seem to find it anywhere

OC Discus
04-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Most uv units will improve the clarity of the water some. Setting up a unit that will effectively remove parasites is much more complicated. The above link may explain the importance of 1) wattage, 2) flow rate, 3) tank size, etc. The problem with most hob units is that the flow rate is not adequate for parasite control. They do help control green algae.

rickztahone
04-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Most uv units will improve the clarity of the water some. Setting up a unit that will effectively remove parasites is much more complicated. The above link may explain the importance of 1) wattage, 2) flow rate, 3) tank size, etc. The problem with most hob units is that the flow rate is not adequate for parasite control. They do help control green algae.

That is what I remember as well. I remember reading that I needed a slow flow rate and at the time I didn't have that so I skipped it. I see how incorporating it in to a sump setup would be easier though

OC Discus
04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
It is somewhat complicated. The tank water needs to be cycled through the uv 3-4 times per hour to kill rapidly hatching parasites. At that speed, the wattage needs to be very high- 40+ watts on a 50g, more for larger tanks, for parasite control.

jmf3460
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
this is not the first hob uv on the market, aquatop has made them for years. I own this one http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-power-filter-pf-uv-40.html and as a uv it functions but at a filter it absolutely sucks. I wish I had never bought it.

Ziggy
04-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Ken's fish sent and e mail out with new products and the hob uv from Aqueon was one of them along with new LED lights

farzadkavari
04-09-2014, 07:48 PM
That is what I remember as well. I remember reading that I needed a slow flow rate and at the time I didn't have that so I skipped it. I see how incorporating it in to a sump setup would be easier though

This new product uses a flow control mechanism for parasite, etc..

farzadkavari
04-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Where did you find it for sale? I cant seem to find it anywhere

You can find it on petstrut website

farzadkavari
04-11-2014, 10:54 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/11/tevasegu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/11/ebujuqem.jpg

I took a chance on it 18 watt, looks like a good design and no cheap looking parts. Made in Italy. I started to run it last night to see if starts to clear the green water. Will let you know the results in few days.

RodneyL001
04-25-2014, 09:42 PM
it seems more people are using them in FW tanks, I use one that is in my Sun Sun canister filter, there seems to be quite a bit of debate on how effective they might be. I figure since it came with the filter, which I got at a great price on ebay, it is worth giving it a try, even if it only has a limited benefit in killing bacteria, a little benefit is better than none.