PDA

View Full Version : I think my fish is becoming a vampire

Ziggy
04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I have one fish that hide behind a rock all the time and if I move the rock and expose him to light he freaks out and dose anything to hide in a dark place. Treated my tank a week and a half a go for bacteria with T.C. teracycline, finished treatment last monday and have been doing 50% wc every other day since. So for the last couple of days he has been hiding.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

looks to be normal other than freaking out every time it exposed to lingt

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

so far just wc

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
75 gal
3 adults 4 little guys 20 tetras 2 bristal nose placos 2 hatchet fish

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
running for 16 months eco-complet gravel about 2" deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

yes age water about .2 ph swing
8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _84____

- ph ___7.4__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __x__

- RO water __x__

mix 5 gal. RO to 1 gal. tap
9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no
10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

can't take pics because he hides when the lights on

Argentum
04-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Hello,

I am a bit confused here, you said that there is no new fish. So was this discus acting normal before and then this started to happen?
Since when?

Why did you treat your aquarium with Tetracycline?
This killed your bio-filtration BTW

and about your test results you can't have 0 Nitrate, you must have some nitrate

Ziggy
04-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I guess my real question is, is it acting this way from being on a med? And is it just taking that one longer to return to normal than the rest? Because this morning it is swiming around a little but not going to far from it's hiding spot

Argentum
04-09-2014, 09:39 AM
So you are still medicating? what were you medicating for? dosage? for how long?

Test your water just before you make a water change and post the results