PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Hello. Idk if this topic was already posted. I searched for it with no results. Anyway

I'm going on vacation on August 2 and be back august 26th.

I have a 75 gallon tank. 5 albino pearl diamond discus 5" plus, 1 butterfly pleco 4", 2 albino cory, and 30 cardinal tetras.

Idk what to do while I'm not here. Having someone else feed and water change is not an option. Don't trust them. Unfortunately I'm the only aquarium enthusiast in my family.

Can no feeding and water change for 3 weeks be ok?? I have to think this through now. Or I'll have to cancel my vacation.

Suggestion/experience is much appreciated.

Skip
04-09-2014, 01:29 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search.php?searchid=2389162

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search.php?searchid=2389162

Umm. The link don't work. Thanks anyways

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Any suggestion??

jmf3460
04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I would really consider looking into finding a company that does this. I know where I live there are aquatic companies that specialize in doing home maintenance for high end customers with huge tanks like you see in millionaire's homes. maybe see if there is one near you and if they will do your water changes for you while gone???

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I would really consider looking into finding a company that does this. I know where I live there are aquatic companies that specialize in doing home maintenance for high end customers with huge tanks like you see in millionaire's homes. maybe see if there is one near you and if they will do your water changes for you while gone???

Really?
Trust other people in my home with a spare key while no one is there?? Idk. I'm not considering that either.

I'm asking because I read somewhere that this guy went on vacation. A month. Came back and everything was ok. He cleaned the tank and filter a day before. And stopped feeding as well for 2 days before leaving. No feeding n water change for almost a month. 25 days I believe he said.

I just want to confirm this is possible without any deaths.

rickztahone
04-09-2014, 02:52 PM
If I remember correctly I have heard that mentioned as well. You would have to dig up the thread though because that was a few years ago I heard that.

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2014, 02:52 PM
That was Eddie and it was 38 days.

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
That was Eddie and it was 38 days.

Jesus!!!!

So I guess I'm good then?? (Deep breath)

Trier20
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
You'll be good. Like mentioned take them off food 2-3 days before leaving, do a good cleaning and large water change and you will be good to go.

-Brandon

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Here are my recommendations for your vacation prep and I did have a fish sitter. She did not feed or do WCs but she did maintain the water levels in my sumps and checked for dead fish. She also took care of my dogs, cat, bird and horses. Yup, have a ranch...sort of.

Quit feeding 48 hours prior to doing that last WC and make it a big one. Consider rehoming that pleco to a different tank. I had some young wild F1s and a pair of Forrest Giant RTs in a 75 with a BN (no wood). I believe the BN went after one of the F1s, caught it, managed to kill it or one of the of the F1s died and BN ate it. Lost the entire tank except one F1 due to ammonia buildup in the tank. I did have a fish sitter and he missed the dead fish and the ammonia spiked and wiped out the tank. When I arrived home the tank was a holy mess and full of poop...BN poop. This was after a 10 day vacation in Nov last year.

To prep for my vacation this last March I culled any fish I considered weak and all the BN went into their own tank. I taught my fish sitter (different person) how to do a WC if needed and all went well. She did do one WC for me as I had some fish recovering from a treatment with antibiotics.

Skip
04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Umm. The link don't work. Thanks anyways

Sorry.. try this..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search.php
(top of page) Advanced Search>>> Keywords "Vacation" >> Search Titles Only.. there was LOTS of info if you want..

dennin7418
04-09-2014, 04:43 PM
That's a long time. Even if the tank manages I'd worry about power outages and freak accidents that could go wrong like a fish dying, filter stops working....I dunno anything.

I'm not really sure why you are so opposed to a house sitter or professional company to care for the tank....but if thats not an option then I guess you just do all you can before and stress out your entire vacation waiting to get home to see if your tank is ok...

Cosabuena
04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Here are my recommendations for your vacation prep and I did have a fish sitter. She did not feed or do WCs but she did maintain the water levels in my sumps and checked for dead fish. She also took care of my dogs, cat, bird and horses. Yup, have a ranch...sort of.

Quit feeding 48 hours prior to doing that last WC and make it a big one. Consider rehoming that pleco to a different tank. I had some young wild F1s and a pair of Forrest Giant RTs in a 75 with a BN (no wood). I believe the BN went after one of the F1s, caught it, managed to kill it or one of the of the F1s died and BN ate it. Lost the entire tank except one F1 due to ammonia buildup in the tank. I did have a fish sitter and he missed the dead fish and the ammonia spiked and wiped out the tank. When I arrived home the tank was a holy mess and full of poop...BN poop. This was after a 10 day vacation in Nov last year.

To prep for my vacation this last March I culled any fish I considered weak and all the BN went into their own tank. I taught my fish sitter (different person) how to do a WC if needed and all went well. She did do one WC for me as I had some fish recovering from a treatment with antibiotics.

Thanks a bunch. I will be rehoming that pleco soon. I cant deal with their mess anyway.

I will follow your directions.
I guess I'll try and have someone to at least watch the tank. Or maybe I'll set a webcam to keep track of any deaths. Thanks mate

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 08:24 PM
No feeding and no water changes for 3 weeks is too long. They can go 1-2 weeks without food or a water change now and then IF everything stays stable while you're gone... if a fish dies your waters going to go bad and things could go bad quickly.

Call a LFS and tell them you want someone coming by 3x/week to maintain your tank while you're gone. 3x/week light feeding, water parameter checks, equipment checks, 1x/week 30% WC and watching out for equipment failure, dead fish etc...it will cost you $ but well worth the peace of mind and having your tank intact when you return.

treemanone2003
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
No feeding and no water changes for 3 weeks is too long. They can go 1-2 weeks without food or a water change now and then IF everything stays stable while you're gone... if a fish dies your waters going to go bad and things could go bad quickly.

Call a LFS and tell them you want someone coming by 3x/week to maintain your tank while you're gone. 3x/week light feeding, water parameter checks, equipment checks, 1x/week 30% WC and watching out for equipment failure, dead fish etc...it will cost you $ but well worth the peace of mind and having your tank intact when you return.

After all the horror stories we can all converse about here, I would NEVER trust MY any kind of animal to an LFS staff member.

Just a thought, but perhaps you're better off with posting where you live and there could be an experienced member here close by that would be willing to assist. I do like the webcam idea but if nobody's around to help in the event of an issue it would only drive you crazy not being able to fix a problem.

Skip
04-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Rubbish... every bit of this..

Op.. u have already been given sound advice.. do not let anything in this post deter u in any way

Chad Adams
04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Op.. u have already been given sound advice.. do not let anything in this post deter u in any way

Agreed with Skip... I'd pretty much never listen to this guy. Seriously.

Chad

Second Hand Pat
04-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Remember Eddie's 38 days...no feeding or WCs.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84841-38-days-no-water-food&highlight=Vacation

OC Discus
04-10-2014, 09:55 PM
You may have some Cardinals eaten. Cories could also become casualties. After three weeks, all your cardinals could be eaten. This is really worth thinking through. Maybe rehome the cards and Cories too before leaving or set up a small tank for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudustin
04-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I have left mine with a sitter that only fed them lightly every other day for two weeks. I came home and all was good. What about an automatic feeder set to feed minimally like every other day? Could use pellets or flakes.

Cosabuena
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
You may have some Cardinals eaten. Cories could also become casualties. After three weeks, all your cardinals could be eaten. This is really worth thinking through. Maybe rehome the cards and Cories too before leaving or set up a small tank for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?? my cardinals are a inch long. Wild ones And very fat. My albino Cory are also full grown n fat.

I have a spare tank.

I might do 2 weeks w nothing done to the tank to see how it goes. I have time to do so. Just to test it out.

Cosabuena
04-10-2014, 10:18 PM
I have left mine with a sitter that only fed them lightly every other day for two weeks. I came home and all was good. What about an automatic feeder set to feed minimally like every other day? Could use pellets or flakes.

If I feed then they'll poo. I prefer no feeding with minimal waste in water

Rudustin
04-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Then don't feed and follow Pats instructions. I was worried once because I had a fish from a sponsor that once it was delivered didn't eat for almost a month! Freaked me out. He is the largest discus I have at about 7.5 to eight inches. The sponsor kept telling me not to worry about it and they were right. No issues. I think if you follow Pat's plan all should be well.

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Stendker discus says that "adult discus are able to live 2-3 weeks without food or a water change. Lean times occur in a discus' natural habitat, too. You can also refrain from water changes during this time." If you do opt to have someone watch them while you're gone, don't just get anyone - make sure the person has an in depth knowledge of discus fish, and a good LFS will often have someone who does, and you can rest assured that your fish will be getting proper care while you're gone.

Cosabuena
04-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Then don't feed and follow Pats instructions. I was worried once because I had a fish from a sponsor that once it was delivered didn't eat for almost a month! Freaked me out. He is the largest discus I have at about 7.5 to eight inches. The sponsor kept telling me not to worry about it and they were right. No issues. I think if you follow Pat's plan all should be well.

How the hell u got him to grow that big man!!!!??

Rudustin
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
How the hell u got him to grow that big man!!!!??
I didn't he came that way! LOL! He was that big when I got him and I couldn't believe that he wouldn't eat! He is a beautiful fish and least aggressive of all of my fish in my show tank.

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 10:41 PM

Chad

You can certainly go long periods of time without food or WCs and they'll most likely do just fine. The only real risk is mechanical failure of some sort - stuff can happen, and if you have an expert coming by to check on things there's no downside other than cost, but having an expert come by to check on the mechanical stuff is never a bad idea.

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Skip and Chad, what is the downside of having an expert come by to check on your tank?

Chad Adams
04-10-2014, 11:12 PM
No feeding and no water changes for 3 weeks is too long.

Rubbish

They can go 1-2 weeks without food or a water change now and then IF everything stays stable while you're gone... if a fish dies your waters going to go bad and things could go bad quickly.

Now this is the trick is it...?

Rubbish is your Quadratic Equation approach to fish care...

LFS Discus Expert is an Oxymoron!

Chad

Chad Adams
04-10-2014, 11:15 PM

I would most certainly NOT feed.

joanstone
04-11-2014, 10:40 AM
One thing I do when leaving my fish is to put new Poly Filters in my filters.

dragon1974
04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Wasn't going to post, as everyone on the forum pretty much gave sound advice. I had a 120 gal with probably 9 or 10 sub adult to adults in the tank. I planned my vacation well in advance and fed probably 2 maybe 3 times a day for months. W/C maybe every 3 - 4 days 50% and maintained the filter with monthly cleaning. I researched the forum and followed the steps provided from everyone. 2 days before I left I stopped feeding, the day before I left I W/C 75% and cleaned the filter and watched to make sure everything was in working order. Day of travel, I was worried so I asked my brother in law to come over once a week to take a look at the house and the tanks. That was to make sure everything was working, and to feed pre-labeled containers. I had some ip cameras that I wasn't using for anything, so I hooked them up, so if anything happened I can walk through the W/C and everything.
I left and had a blast on vacation, I kinda cheated and hooked into the net to watch the tanks a couple times LOL. When I came back after 24 days, everyone was ok save for 1 who was looking sketchy from before I left so no biggie. Did another 75% W/C and cleaned the filters and went about my business.

You don’t have to do what I did, I was new with discus *Couple years into the hobby*. Just feed and w/c normally, stop feeding 2 days before and clean the night before. Go on your vacation and have a blast and as one of the veterans her on the site told me, “they are pets, they don’t rule your life LOL”. Make sure they are healthy and everything will be ok. That’s my 2 cents

Cosabuena
04-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Wasn't going to post, as everyone on the forum pretty much gave sound advice. I had a 120 gal with probably 9 or 10 sub adult to adults in the tank. I planned my vacation well in advance and fed probably 2 maybe 3 times a day for months. W/C maybe every 3 - 4 days 50% and maintained the filter with monthly cleaning. I researched the forum and followed the steps provided from everyone. 2 days before I left I stopped feeding, the day before I left I W/C 75% and cleaned the filter and watched to make sure everything was in working order. Day of travel, I was worried so I asked my brother in law to come over once a week to take a look at the house and the tanks. That was to make sure everything was working, and to feed pre-labeled containers. I had some ip cameras that I wasn't using for anything, so I hooked them up, so if anything happened I can walk through the W/C and everything.
I left and had a blast on vacation, I kinda cheated and hooked into the net to watch the tanks a couple times LOL. When I came back after 24 days, everyone was ok save for 1 who was looking sketchy from before I left so no biggie. Did another 75% W/C and cleaned the filters and went about my business.

You don’t have to do what I did, I was new with discus *Couple years into the hobby*. Just feed and w/c normally, stop feeding 2 days before and clean the night before. Go on your vacation and have a blast and as one of the veterans her on the site told me, “they are pets, they don’t rule your life LOL”. Make sure they are healthy and everything will be ok. That’s my 2 cents

Thanks bro. I've already decided to leave them. They are grown, they can take care of them self. Lol.

I like that quote "they are pets, they don't rule your life" lol

Rudustin
04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks bro. I've already decided to leave them. They are grown, they can take care of them self. Lol.

I like that quote "they are pets, they don't rule your life" lol Great advise.

aquadon2222
04-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Chad

I'd never listen to anyone who thinks it's better to leave a tank unchecked for 3 weeks than have someone come by and check on things. Having someone who knows what they're doing check in on your tank every now and then while you're on vacation *always* makes sense. Chances are things will be fine but there is no reason not to have someone check on your tank while you're gone for that long, if only for peace of mind.

aquadon2222
04-11-2014, 08:43 PM
<<LFS Discus Expert is an Oxymoron!>>

^^Large load of BS^^...most decent sized cities have someone at a reputable fish store with years of discus experience and knowledge!

Trier20
04-12-2014, 01:02 AM
<<LFS Discus Expert is an Oxymoron!>>

^^Large load of BS^^...most decent sized cities have someone at a reputable fish store with years of discus experience and knowledge!

And most think feeding once a day and water changes once a month will give you spectacular fish.

-Brandon

pcsb23
04-12-2014, 05:17 AM
OK folks, the only "gentle" warning you'll get from me.

Keep this civil otherwise you will have to find somewhere else to play.

Thanks.

beastroy
04-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I can baby sit your fish for you for free...just bring it over to my place.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

treemanone2003
04-19-2014, 08:13 PM

This is very debatable. The only person I would trust has nothing to do with a reputable fish store and lives in the same state. It's be worth every penny to have him pay a visit, then again I don't go on vacation.

beastroy
04-20-2014, 07:44 AM

I like that quote "they are pets, they don't rule your life" lol

Hey bro don't get me wrong but I think your fish still have lot of time to grow to its maximum potential size.
Since they are still less than 11 months old.
My advise to you is power feed them and try not to miss a meal so you wont regret it later on down the road as why is Beastroy APD is bigger than mine by the end of 2014.......lol
Your APD CAN STILL EAT ATLEAST 4 MEAL ADAY EZ.