PDA

View Full Version : Wilds stopped eating

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I've got a 320gal with 20 domestics and 4 wilds (Alenquer Reds)...two of the Reds are enormous: 7+" and thick, the biggest fish in the tank. So after a couple of days of acclimation when I got them, they were the alpha fish in the tank and ate aggressively, for about 3 weeks. Now they've lost a lot of their aggression and sit back and let the smaller guys fill up...even when I float mysis shrimp and bloodworms right by their face they don't seem interested. This has been going on about a week. No external signs of sickness. Temp 85, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0....any help?!

Rudustin
04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
My bigger discus who are in that size range do not eat as much as the smaller ones. I have an eight inch Blue Pigeon. He's huge. He eats but he is more of a grazer. All my big discus are like that. They let the lesser sized discus eat before them all the time but they don't seem to lose their size. Also my biggest discus are the least aggressive as well. That is my experience.

Second Hand Pat
04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
I moved your thread to the disease section. I suggest filling out the disease questionnaire to help others assist you http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete
Pat

Skip
04-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Cross contamination problems.. from no qt.. now.. what is the problem..? More observation is needed. Water change alot. It all u can do

YSS
04-10-2014, 10:27 PM
If I were you, I would take the fish out and put them in a hospital tank and observe. If the fish don't start eating soon, it's time to start thinking about treatment options.

aquadon2222
04-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm keeping a close eye on them. They otherwise look and behave ok, and I suspect that they might be eating at night when I leave the moon light on...I've seen them pecking around on the bottom. Any bad signs and I'm pulling them into my QT tank and doing a massive water change of my main tank.

YSS
04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I have seen fish that were eating well but stopped eating or not eating as well when they were getting ready to spawn. Anyhow, not sure what you consider bad signs, but don't wait too long.

winn0923
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
See if they eat some FDBW... If they don't for 3-4 days then def treatment options. Wild discus graze a lot, I normally leave enough food in the morning before work and at night all the food are gone.

Also look for dark stress bars. Prominent dark bars means it's bad and fish will need to be isolated or treated, light flashing stress bar means you should be ok to observe a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip
04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
There should be no food to eat at night... leftover food at bottom of tank is not good discus practice

nevsfish
04-11-2014, 08:07 PM
sometimes wilds will stop eating if they are under stress i would never mix wilds and domestics unless a lengthy quarantine is followed.keep up the water changes and keep the tank free of any uneaten food,wild discus are very tough if given clean water and time they will come around,but please don't start throughing meds in the tank without knowing what the problem is it will only end badly.sorry one last thing can you test for nitrates and post the results.good luck regards lawrence

winn0923
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
sometimes wilds will stop eating if they are under stress i would never mix wilds and domestics unless a lengthy quarantine is followed.keep up the water changes and keep the tank free of any uneaten food,wild discus are very tough if given clean water and time they will come around,but please don't start throughing meds in the tank without knowing what the problem is it will only end badly.sorry one last thing can you test for nitrates and post the results.good luck regards lawrence

Ditto what he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk