PDA

View Full Version : Stripes/spots/Dots Color question

zachrabbit15
04-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Just looking to have a little better understanding of some color hi-achy in the Turquoise lines. Taking blue Turks as a example top to bottom from my understanding,

Turks
Leopards
Eruption
9 bar SS
14bar SS

Where do mosaics, carnations, checkerboards, pearls, ect, ect fit in. Also What is a Red Leopard called? Is the only difference between a Penang Eruption and a Eruption Leopard, 1 blue based and the other red?
Thanks for any help or insite. Zach

Rod
04-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Just looking to have a little better understanding of some color hi-achy in the Turquoise lines. Taking blue Turks as a example top to bottom from my understanding,

Turks
Leopards
Eruption
9 bar SS
14bar SS

Where do mosaics, carnations, checkerboards, pearls, ect, ect fit in. Also What is a Red Leopard called? Is the only difference between a Penang Eruption and a Eruption Leopard, 1 blue based and the other red?
Thanks for any help or insite. Zach

-Turks are produced from breeding the best wild types together and line breeding for the blue/green secondary color. No single gene mutations. Can be produced using any wild discus type, but usually S.haraldi.
-Leopards are produced from breeding the wild type red spotted green with the turquoise type. No single gene mutations.
-Eruptions are produced by breeding snakeskin(this one has a single gene mutation probably found among captive bred S.haraldi) with red spotted green (or leopard as above). Incorperating the snakeskin gene renders this form as merely a variety, as the gene that controls the snakeskin phenotype seems to be impossible to purify. In every batch of eruption, you could expect that half will not be eruptions and will instead be like the leopard type.
-no such thing as 9 bar snakeskin, these are the throwbacks produced when breeding 2 snakeskins together. They are indistinguishable from regular 9 bar wild types and when mated together produce 100% 9 bar wild type non-snakeskin progeny. Snakeskin is controlled by a dominant gene, so it is either on or off. When it is off like when a 9 bar appears, well this means this special mutated gene is gone, forever. Only genes that are controlled in a recessive manner, well they literally recede and can lay hidden away. That is they can appear to be off, but can reappear in a future generation. The snakeskin cannot do this, so for me it doesn't seem right to label a 9 bar as a snakeskin.
-14 bar snakeskin describes a single gene mutation that among other things has 14 vertical mood bars (or there abouts, the number varies). Snakeskin is controlled by a dominant heterozygous gene so cannot be purified. There is such a thing as the finelined or 21 bar snakeskin (some call it barless snakeskin as well) which very occasionally appears in the fry when breeding from 14 bar snakeskins. These may (my hypothosis) be the homozygous form of the snakeskin gene, but i have not had the opportunity to test this, nor do i have reliable evidence for it either :D
- mosaics, carnations, checkerboards, pearls, ect, are line bred from turk types. Generally these types show amazing patterns when young, though as they mature the pearl spots and checkers have a bad habit of joining up and become more like the striations on a regular turk type.
-All leopards, leopard snakeskin, eruptions what have you are red based. The blue/green color is the secondary color. The only blue based discus i can think of is blue diamond, and this is controlled by a single gene mutation. No wild types have a blue base.

Rod

zachrabbit15
04-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks for taking the time writing all that out. The information is what I was looking for.

Couple questions now. If I breed Turk to Leopards I will get mostly if not all Turks correct?

How can the blue colors be brought out more in Turks, ect, ect?

Zach

Rod
04-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks for taking the time writing all that out. The information is what I was looking for.

Couple questions now. If I breed Turk to Leopards I will get mostly if not all Turks correct?

How can the blue colors be brought out more in Turks, ect, ect?

Zach

Turk to leopard will be all turquoise discus, some will inherit red spots. When Jack Wattley coined the name turquoise, he was referring to discus that had the largest portion of its color as blue/green secondary color. If we use that as a basis for naming these types then i think leopard is also a variety of turquoise. I believe his original brood stock was developed by hybrid from S. haraldi and S. aequifasciata. For me it is merely a crossing of 2 varieties of turquoise discus.
r
Regarding better colors, do this by selection. Choose only strongly colored specimens as breeders, then you have a good chance of receiving strongly colored offspring. Keep choosing the best of the best, and improvements will come.