PDA

View Full Version : 180 Gal Planted Tank Substrate Questions

rvales
04-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a 180 tank that I want to use for a planted discus tank. The questions that I have is what substrates should I be using for high temperature plants? should I use soil, gravel, sand or a combination. I would also like to know name brands if possible? Also how much do I need for 180gal tank? I get so many conflicting answers on different threads. I have all the equipment that I need. I have a sump/refugium with miracle mud, wet/ dry filter, CO2 and RO/DI. I have read that dark substrates are not good for discus. Please help me clear this up before I purchase substrate. I am confused.

pcsb23
04-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Hello Rick,

There are hundreds of different substrates available from the expensive such as ADA Amazonia to the cheap like pool filter sand. All can be made to work. I've used many of these and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. In my experience plants do better with a nutrient rich substrate, I see significantly better growth with things like sword plants for example but I have still grown these successfully in just plain sand.

I prefer light coloured substrates for discus. Many discus will darken with dark substrates, pigeon blood strains often develop what is called pepper (ugly dark spots over the body - not a disease btw) - so a light substrate works better ime. I'm currently doing a new planted tank (not decided what will go in there yet) but discus would work well in it. Have a look here to see what I'm doing http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?113026-Weeds

Elliots
04-12-2014, 07:50 AM
nutrient rich substrates probably work well in a Discus tank but they are expensive and when their nutrients are used up it can cause problems to remove what is left and replace with fresh material. I use PFS from a hardware store. For a 180 gal you might need 100-250 lbs depending on how deep you want the sand. Use root fertilizer tabs and fertilize the water column often or at every water change. I used PFS, I did not try nutrient substrate.

dirtyplants
04-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Ah yes, the substrate debate, my tank went through high tech, low tech, sand, gravel, soil, and ADA, and clay. I have a combination of now. Diana Walstad "Ecology of the planted Aquarium" Is still the best primmer for low tech planted tanks out there all though very out dated. A rich substrate for less common plants is a necessity, but for Amazon swords well they seem to grow well in my tanks just floating them. I pull them out and trim them back all the time. My tank has gravel, sand, and clay. I would have had soil in it if I had not started it out as a high tech tank. Soil for a beginner I would not recommend with discus. I have low growing, for ground plants on the bottom, a few amazons, anubias, ferns, Some crypts and a few others but a whole lot of floating plants for a canopy, and a lot of wood. I wanted a more natural looking tank so I allowed for the plants to do their own thing as I watched their growths and care needs. For myself I wanted a self sufficient tank with little or no maintenance. So it evolved through my negligence until I found plants which cleaned the water, worked in high heat and allowed for discus to grow while only needing a thinning every once and a while. I do not use ferts. So you will find many answers to that that question, but the answer to that is to decide on a look and then prepare for the nutrient levels needed for the plants. Remembering you will have to clean the substrate, and the plants will need to tolerate warm temps.

Susie
04-12-2014, 01:45 PM
I am trying a thin layer of sand (black) and Hagen Planting Rocks for my plants. I think that will make cleaning and plant care much easier. Just an idea. You can find the planters on <PetDiscounters.com>. I am using Carib Sea River Sand in Tahitian Black. If it makes my discus turn dark, I will be very unhappy and probably redecorate.;)

rvales
04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I would like to thank everyone for all the good advice. I decided to use Caribe sea Eco Complete 5 bags which is 100lbs which should give me about 1 inch on the bottom as a base and pool filter sand 150lbs from leslies pools as the top layer. I think that is a good start. I will play with the substrate. I plan on slopping it toward the back. I have seen several Youtube videos on how to aquascape and I have a good idea as to how I want it to look.

musicmarn1
04-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Pictures as you go please!! Core I want to come to your house :) I love dirt in my planted tanks but have still soooooo much to learn :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rvales
04-15-2014, 06:43 AM
I will take pictures when I start my setup. I am selling off my salt water fish. Then I have to empty and clean everything. Sump, wet/dry and tank. I am re-drilling the sump and wet/dry with bigger holes. Once everything is in place I will take many pictures of my build. It will be a week or two before I can start the build. I have stuff on order and I am waiting for it to be delivered. So much to do, but so little time.

Mxx
04-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Ah yes, the substrate debate, my tank went through high tech, low tech, sand, gravel, soil, and ADA, and clay. I have a combination of now. Diana Walstad "Ecology of the planted Aquarium" Is still the best primmer for low tech planted tanks out there all though very out dated. A rich substrate for less common plants is a necessity, but for Amazon swords well they seem to grow well in my tanks just floating them. I pull them out and trim them back all the time. My tank has gravel, sand, and clay. I would have had soil in it if I had not started it out as a high tech tank. Soil for a beginner I would not recommend with discus. I have low growing, for ground plants on the bottom, a few amazons, anubias, ferns, Some crypts and a few others but a whole lot of floating plants for a canopy, and a lot of wood. I wanted a more natural looking tank so I allowed for the plants to do their own thing as I watched their growths and care needs. For myself I wanted a self sufficient tank with little or no maintenance. So it evolved through my negligence until I found plants which cleaned the water, worked in high heat and allowed for discus to grow while only needing a thinning every once and a while. I do not use ferts. So you will find many answers to that that question, but the answer to that is to decide on a look and then prepare for the nutrient levels needed for the plants. Remembering you will have to clean the substrate, and the plants will need to tolerate warm temps.

Do you think you could further explain the combination you have going now? And how do you think Ecology of the Planted Aquarium is very outdated? I'm very interested in this, so your view would be much appreciated. Oh, and what ferns did you settle on which work for you?

Elliots
04-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Rick, you made a good decision about PFS and substrate but you will not do much playing with it when you see how messy your tank can get. Think again about your decision and plan to stick with that decision for a while.

tbmeck
04-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Pool filter sand will work just fine for discus. The nice thing about pool filter sand is it doesn't allow detritus and other organics to settle into the substrate thus leading to foul water. I use PFS in my planted discus tank and love it.

Tres
05-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Pool filter sand. That could be laid over an inch of mineralized topsoil or another enriched soil substrate if you really want to properly grow plants. Consider laying a barrier of plastic knitting mesh between the two if so, to try and keep it clean and contained under the capping sand.

Is dark substrate a concern with wild discus varieties as well though, or just with breeds such as pigeon bloods due to the peppering issues which they get?