PDA

View Full Version : Hiding places?

LeeAberdeen
04-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I've had my six new discus four days and they seem fine in every respect, except... they've started hiding. I have a planted tank (boo, hiss) and, a habit from my African Cichlid days, there's a cave and rocks they can hide in and behind. Unfortunately, that's what they've started doing. I'm wondering if removing their hiding places is the way forward, to encourage them into the open but, if they feel secure there, maybe it's not such a good idea?

They came from a busy LFS and were fine the first two days, but now seem to have gone into their shells. The tank is next to a reasonably busy walking route to the kitchen but, as they'd come from a busy shop, I never considered that a potential problem. Suddenly, though, they're jumpy at the slightest little thing.

I realise it's early days for them, but is removing the hiding places a good idea? They're so beautiful, it would be nice to actually see them...

Elliots
04-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Give your fish time they are still settling in. It has been only four days. Discus are different like that from any other fish I have ever had.

LeeAberdeen
04-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm tempted to agree. Just wondered why the personality transformation in the space of two days? It's like the hiding places have encouraged them to do exactly that. And when they do come out they seem to be on edge. One of them I've hardly seen for two days - he rarely even comes out for food. It's a bit weird, but when they do eventually come out they look fine apart from the nervousness. In the LFS, they had hectic areas either side and in front of them, but there were no hiding places and they were fine, just as they were with me the first couple of days.

OC Discus
04-12-2014, 08:51 PM
A wise sd member once said, "If you give them hiding places, they will hide." If you want to see them more, just remove the hiding places. You can clean them and keep them for later.

LeeAberdeen
04-12-2014, 08:53 PM
A wise sd member once said, "If you give them hiding places, they will hide."

That's exactly what I'm thinking...