PDA

View Full Version : filtration question

nzac
04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
setting up my first discus tank, will be bare bottom 75 gallon with 5 fish ranging from 3"-4", everyone i know locally uses sponge filters. I have the option of a canister filter(eheim 2028), a penguin 350 and ac110(both currently on the tank and cycled), or a pair of double stacked sponge filters. I have been reading of people here using canisters and hobs which from what little i know seems to be taboo since discus apparently don't like current.

which option would be best in the long run? I will leave at least one of the HoB's until preferred method is fully cycled (in no hurry to remove them anyway).

Madaboutdiscus
04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I love the ac 110s never used a canister though. But penguin vs ac 110 I'll pick the ac.

~Victoria

Elliots
04-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Everything has plus and minuses. Sponge filters look bad I think but I have a planted tank. Canister filters are excellent but they can be hard to service and may leak in time. I use HOB, AQ110. To clean the filter material (Medium) lifts out in a carriage. Your tank your choice. I have no idea which is best, which do you like?

nzac
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
I prefer the HoB's but am willing to use what is best for this species

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
I have a AC 110 on both my 75 QT and on the 90. The discus do not seem to mind the current if they can move out of it. I use the flow to feed Al's FDBWs. The cube rolls in the flow at the waters surface and the worms are placed in the current as the cube softens in the water. The fish catch worms floating in the water column. I am not a canister fan.

adapted
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Another vote here for the AQ110 for display tanks, double sponged and fitted with an intake prefilter. They are quiet and easy to maintain. And there's enough room in them for thermometer and pH probes and even a 250ml bag of Purigen.

For grow outs and breeders, a sponge filter is the ticket

nzac
04-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Great, I am glad to hear that I do not NEED to take up space with the ugly sponges.

MKD
04-16-2014, 12:57 PM
assume you'll feed 3-4" discus more often => clean filter more => i'll pick AC 'cause easy to clean and no broken seal to worry about. Instead using air stone, I would use small sponge filter to house more BB and emergency in case you need it to cycle other/more tanks :) .

Have fun,

Tony

nzac
04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Lol with 31 tanks running in house not worried about seeding anything

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
You generally want to seed a discus from a discus tank or best to do a fishless cycle.

nzac
04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
So would seeding from an angel tank be bad? They have always seemed close to as fragile as discus

BODYDUB
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
I personnaly have a HOB filter and a sponge. IMO it's safe practice to have two filters running just in case one gives out. You have three options:

All these opitions are dependant on how "safe" your current tank is (meaning past or present diseases)
1. You could add a sponge filter in your existing angel tank then transfer it to the new tank.
2. You could transfer one of your existing filters to the new tank. Although you may see some ammonia from the removed BB.
3. You could add more media to your exsisting tank then use the seeded media in your new filters.