PDA

View Full Version : Success stories: Mixing Asian and Stendker Discus?

Ducati
04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
I've heard the horror stories, but I'd like to hear from folks who have successfully placed Stendkers with Asians with prolonged viability.

Can anyone chime in?

John_Nicholson
04-16-2014, 09:00 AM
I have mixed fish from Mike Beals and Hans before without any issues. It is all in trusting your supplier. Having said that you still need to practice the proper Q.

-john

farebox
04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
In my 125G I have 8 discus from Kenny's and 7 from Han's. I did Q each at difference purchases over an years time. All just doing fine, fat and happy, Started at 3" and now are 4.5"+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YSS
04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I have as well and also wild discus with both.

Skip
04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
of course every one of these people.. here have practiced proper quarantine procedures..

ANY fish from two different sources.. Mix together discus WITHOUT QT is the reason for these HORROR stories you say you have heard. .

Ducati
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
To some it's beyond quarantine practice, for some, the theory is akin to "Europeans meeting Native North Americans" and the introduction to new diseases that have lead to the horror stories. So that's why I want to hear actual "success stories".

Nick Klimkowski
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Like stated above it is not as much of a problem to mix Asian and german discus together, it is just important to QT before mixing.

Rudustin
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I also have a mixed Asian and German discus as well. I followed very strict quarantine protocols.

terps
04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I've heard the horror stories, but I'd like to hear from folks who have successfully placed Stendkers with Asians with prolonged viability.

Can anyone chime in?

From Stendker's website: (http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/587,0,faq,index,0.html)

"• Can I mix different types of discus fish?
You can mix different colours from the same breeder at any time. However, you should never mix different types such as fish caught in the wild, fish from Asiatic breeders or STENDKER discus fish because fish from different breeding operations will have different microbial strains and therefore may not be mixed."

John_Nicholson
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Thats called CYA.

-john

From Stendker's website: (http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/587,0,faq,index,0.html)

"• Can I mix different types of discus fish?
You can mix different colours from the same breeder at any time. However, you should never mix different types such as fish caught in the wild, fish from Asiatic breeders or STENDKER discus fish because fish from different breeding operations will have different microbial strains and therefore may not be mixed."

Larry Bugg
04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Thats called CYA.

-john

I agree. I have mixed Asian and German before. Currently have a nice batch of juvies from a Stendker Fire Red male and Super Red Melon (Asian) pair as an example.

Skip
04-18-2014, 12:33 PM
makes me wonder, how much is lost in translation from the GERMAN to ENGLISH

Keith Perkins
04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Thats called CYA.

-john

John are you being PC? :huh::inquisitive::huh: I would have thought BS would have been in your response somewhere. Not that the Stendker statement about the different microbial strains couldn't be true and perhaps even often is, but to go as far as to say they may not be mixed? Okay, if John has gone PC I'm going to have to fill in for the old John, BS.

terps
04-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Hans should have taken Stendker's advice. Remember when Hans imported wild discus to his place. Then a few days later all his Stendker discus got sick. Hans had to cull all his Stendker discus. How quickly people forget.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86800-What-s-going-on-here

Skip
04-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Hans should have taken Stendker's advice. Remember when Hans imported wild discus to his place. Then a few days later all his Stendker discus got sick. Hans had to cull all his Stendker discus. How quickly people forget.

i think you are really stretching on this and the stendker website post..
ps.. hans was selling wilds from before that incident..

Larry Bugg
04-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Has has stated in the past that his issue was not due to bringing non sender discus into the fish house.You need to be clear on your facts before posting something like that. Also as Skip stated Hans had wilds long before that. On top of that he kept the stendkers and the wilds completely separate. They were not mixed.

John_Nicholson
04-18-2014, 02:08 PM
LOL.....I am still me....I promise....

Terps like Skip said Hans had been selling wilds for quite a while before that happened. Also it was never 100% decided where it came from. I know there were some folks that stopped by another discus person of questionable quality and then came directly to Hans's place. There was some speculation that it came from there. Where ever it came from it would be hard to find any other person that would be willing to kill $100,000 in discus just to make sure that he did not pass on any problems to anyone else.

-john

John are you being PC? :huh::inquisitive::huh: I would have thought BS would have been in your response somewhere. Not that the Stendker statement about the different microbial strains couldn't be true and perhaps even often is, but to go as far as to say they may not be mixed? Okay, if John has gone PC I'm going to have to fill in for the old John, BS.

Chicago Discus
04-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Asians and Germans in the end they are all just discus. The key is proper quarantine at least six to eight weeks and then start introducing discus that are not your favorite to the quarantine tank. After a few weeks if no issues them introduce them to your main tank..

300 gallon with German and Asian fish together.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh8BJGH3-bg

musicmarn1
04-18-2014, 06:02 PM
LOL.....I am still me....I promise....

Terps like Skip said Hans had been selling wilds for quite a while before that happened. Also it was never 100% decided where it came from. I know there were some folks that stopped by another discus person of questionable quality and then came directly to Hans's place. There was some speculation that it came from there. Where ever it came from it would be hard to find any other person that would be willing to kill $100,000 in discus just to make sure that he did not pass on any problems to anyone else.

-john

Woah.................respect. wow though,just wow.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Rudustin
04-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Okay for us old people like me what are all these abbreviations mean. CYA and PC?

Keith Perkins
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Cover Your Assets, or something like that. Politically Correct. Nothing too mysterious, and I'm pushing 55.

Discus-Hans
04-19-2014, 12:07 AM

Terps, you are you are messing with the facts here, did you misread or do you have just other intentions here????

Now tell us, who is behind the name "Terps" ??

Hans

musicmarn1
04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
Terps its highly disrespectful, in my humble opinion to make a sweeping statement bringing up a personal tragedy of the like most of us cannot even imagine in our business, i couldn't imagine surviving it in mine - and pointing the finger to your first, conclusion, when so many variables were present, water source was a strong suspect -visitors contaminating filter systems, and Hans own quote*Billy, it's not from the wilds, we put 2 Stendker Discus (from a friend, from before the tragedy) and those are fine.*

what could the wilds have carried that lead to the pathogens found on the dead fish and yet the ones that had been sent out had made no other fish from clients sick? is my understanding of it at least, and yet regardless - Hans made changes to cover all those bases judging from his posts. i got MY hackles up from your post and im very much a people pleaser, so if i feel offended by your sweeping statement, boy ......its probably pretty offensive and sweeping.

dont jump to conclusions on someone elses livelihood, their entire existence depends on those conclusions and they are not yours to make. Did you see Josie's video? after QT its obviously FINE for many many people to mix sources, after proper and thorough QT.

whether you would ever want to do that is completely personal choice and no need to drag a tragedy from 2011 into it. Mixing ANY fish from any two different sources i now know from personal experience, is highly risky if you skip proper QT mixing healthy fish after proper QT is almost always fine from what im reading from others and learning by myself.

you may not have meant it to sound so dismissive and harsh, but boy, lol i shuddered when i read it !

jaykne
04-19-2014, 11:30 PM
I have had discus from Hans with Asian discus and never had a problem. I just got a female from Hans for one of my males that is and Asian fish.

yim11
04-20-2014, 12:09 AM
The roof

The roof

The roof is on fire...

Rudustin
04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Cover Your Assets, or something like that. Politically Correct. Nothing too mysterious, and I'm pushing 55.

Thanks Keith. I just read the original 2011 thread about the horrible and tragic thing that happened to Hans! It was gut wrenching to read. This all happened before I found SD. up until this OP I had no idea that this happened. TERPS you are way out of line in your assessment of the fact and I also read your 2011 response to Hans' which I think was also less than sympathetic. Hans was the first sponsor I bought quality discus from. He is amazing informative about discus and I owe so much to him for always having the highest regard for his fish and his customers. Rufus

Argentum
04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks Keith. I just read the original 2011 thread about the horrible and tragic thing that happened to Hans! It was gut wrenching to read. This all happened before I found SD. up until this OP I had no idea that this happened. TERPS you are way out of line in your assessment of the fact and I also read your 2011 response to Hans' which I think was also less than sympathetic. Hans was the first sponsor I bought quality discus from. He is amazing informative about discus and I owe so much to him for always having the highest regard for his fish and his customers. Rufus

+1

I also just came to know about 2011 tragedy, I read the whole post and noticed Terps strange comments

Skip
04-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I read the whole post and noticed Terps strange comments

well, i believe the issue is now closed..
that said username is now banned.. and no longer with us..

YSS
04-21-2014, 04:23 PM
well, i believe the issue is now closed..
that said username is now banned.. and no longer with us..

Interesting ... It just took that one comment to get him banned or were there other posts that were deleted?

Skip
04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Interesting ... It just took that one comment to get him banned or were there other posts that were deleted?

don't know.. i just saw his avatar is gone.. and it says "banned".. so that particular account is no longer with us.. was this topic.. or other things? we are not in the "need to know" basis..

posts not deleted.. still on first page

brewmaster15
04-21-2014, 05:13 PM
That member is Banned... no further discussion regarding them please as it is an administrative matter now.. We do not ban a member here without what we feel is very good reason.

Thanks,
Al

aquadon2222
05-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I've mixed German and Asian before and generally speaking, I lost more Germans than Vice Versa. All were QTed properly, but if you QT a population of a fish which share a pathogen to which they've developed an immunity, they won't show disease. The disease won't manifest until it is exposed to stock that is unfamiliar with that particular pathogen. The aforementioned analogy of the Europeans bringing disease to which the Native population has no defense is a good one. Somewhat ironically, the better job your breeder does in running a clean, pathogen free program, the more susceptible their fish will be to other fish who may have had a less sterile environment. Best to keep stock separate, unless you're prepared to lose a few fish.