PDA

View Full Version : Treating Plants To Rid of pest Snails

RodneyL001
04-20-2014, 12:32 PM
I have read conflicting ideas on rather or not it advisable to treat plants for snails before placing them in your tank. Is it advisable to treat your plants with a salt water solution or with a weak bleach water solution, how much trauma would this cause to your plants, and does it matter the type of plants you treat?

Tictok
04-20-2014, 01:06 PM
From my experience, if you don't want snails in your aquarium I would not purchase any plants that couldn't withstand the trauma of some kind of treatment to rid them of snails/eggs. I wish I had done more than rinsed them in water before I had put them in my tank because now I am over-ridden with unsightly snails. I have tried so many different methods to eradicate them and nothing has been successful. I think that the only way for me to get rid of them at this point would be to take my tank down completely, sanitize it and start over. Although at this point I would not add plants after what I know now. With such frequent water changes, and the need for pristine conditions, it is much easier to go bare-bottomed or add just a fine layer of PFS as substrate. I'm not sure what kinds of solutions are best prior to putting plants in aquarium,but I'm sure someone else will be able to assist you. Just wanted to give my take on whether or not to treat plants - from my experience. HTH!

ashtricks
04-20-2014, 01:33 PM
You can treat the plants with weak bleach before putting them in your tank. If you get some snails, then reduce the food for a few days, the snail population will automatically get under control.

RodneyL001
04-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I have seen on here where some people have used different kinds of Loaches, it seems as if you want to use live plants there is no way to completely rid yourself of snails.

Tictok
04-20-2014, 06:46 PM
I have three clown loaches in my tank. This was my latest attempt to try to get rid of them . So, far eating more of the Discus's food than snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcsb23
04-21-2014, 04:49 AM
It may sound obvious but buy your plants from a snail free supplier. Any treatment which stresses the plants leaves the door open for algae. The most I ever do these days is carefully rinse the plants in tepid water.

Cullymoto
04-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Potassium permangenate dip will kill snails. Is harmless to my plants ( cobomba, Java fern, Anubis, moss balls ) and removed snails.
Also it is useful in killing snails in your tank. I had to add a strong dose to rid the snail infestation after moving the fish to a temporary tank.
I did a massive overdose of pp into the tank, plants and all for 12 hours and all the plants lived. Snails did not.
Pp is available at most water stores (used to sterilize filtration equipment) and at pharmacies by request. It is cheap and effective.

Tictok
04-21-2014, 09:59 AM
It may sound obvious but buy your plants from a snail free supplier. Any treatment which stresses the plants leaves the door open for algae. The most I ever do these days is carefully rinse the plants in tepid water.

You would think it would be wouldn't you, Paul. :). All I can do at this point is hit myself in the head to somehow:confused::confused: stimulate brain power.

ashtricks
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Alum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum)helps a lot too! I do that when I put plants in. Other than this one super sensitive plant that I got, which caused the snail infestation coz i did not dip!

Potassium permangenate dip will kill snails. Is harmless to my plants ( cobomba, Java fern, Anubis, moss balls ) and removed snails.
Also it is useful in killing snails in your tank. I had to add a strong dose to rid the snail infestation after moving the fish to a temporary tank.
I did a massive overdose of pp into the tank, plants and all for 12 hours and all the plants lived. Snails did not.
Pp is available at most water stores (used to sterilize filtration equipment) and at pharmacies by request. It is cheap and effective.

RodneyL001
04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
I decided to treat my plants with a mild solution of bleach water, they were low maintenance plants, Amazon Swords. One of the previous post said to get plants from a LFS that guarantees no snails, is there such a place. I think my LFS tries, but as picked out my plant I saw one small little snail, I'm glad I saw him before introducing it into my tank!!!!!

pcsb23
04-22-2014, 04:52 AM
I decided to treat my plants with a mild solution of bleach water, they were low maintenance plants, Amazon Swords. One of the previous post said to get plants from a LFS that guarantees no snails, is there such a place. I think my LFS tries, but as picked out my plant I saw one small little snail, I'm glad I saw him before introducing it into my tank!!!!!Several places near me sell plants that have no snails. They tend to be suppliers of tropica plants or aquafleur plants. May cost a little more but they are the best quality out there.

Tres
05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
From unknown sources I've medicated new plants in a 10g with Jungle Fizz tabs for a week or two...