PDA

View Full Version : Easter Surprise

Fisher126
04-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Happy Easter everyone. Long story short I left the room that houses my 110g community tank for a few minutes. I walked back in just in time to see two of my pigeon bloods in the mating process. Not only did I not expect to have a pair right now, I definitely did not expect to get to watch it happen. Obviously its too early to call this a success. Now for the questions... I know it's not uncommon for two females to ”pair off,” but if that was the case, would the female imitate the male's role in the process? I watched the female lay eggs and the suspected male follow right behind her looking as if he was doing his part. I also know its not rare for a young male to be unsuccessful at fertilizing, so, how long until you can clearly tell the difference between good and bad eggs? All comments and questions are welcome, thanks.

Keith Perkins
04-20-2014, 10:00 PM
I've been lucky and haven't had two females pair off so I'll leave that portion of your question along. If the eggs are fertile and not eaten by someone first you'll see wrigglers in about 48 hours. It will either be that or they'll have turned a paper white indicating they aren't viable.

Fisher126
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Hate to say but the excitement was short lived. I came down this morning to find the mother eating the last few eggs. It's time to move them to their breeding tank and cross my fingers.

rickztahone
04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
I would wait a while if I were you.

Fisher126
04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
What will waiting do for me? Or them? Thanks

Keith Perkins
04-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Perhaps make them better parents. If you let them spawn a couple/few more times before moving them to a tank of their own they may start guarding them more aggressively etc. I know it's hard to wait, I've got some in a community tank I'm wanting to successfully spawn in the worst way, but in the long wrong you're probably better off leaving them for a while.

Fisher126
04-30-2014, 10:37 PM
I see. I had already moved them before I saw your post so please don't take this as ignoring your advice. I moved them to a 20g H with nothing but a sponge filter, cone, and a heater. Daily water changes of 90%. I got extremely lucky. They laid eggs Monday and currently have about 65 wigglers. I guess I accidently did all the right things (tothe best of my knowledge) and the stars have aligned. I know it's still iffy from here especially with young parents. Thanks again for your advice; it's greatly appreciated.

Fisher126
05-01-2014, 10:21 PM
The wigglers are having trouble staying on the cone. The parents are doing their best to put them back. A significant number of them are wiggling their way under the lip of the cone where the parents cannot get to them. I can get to most with a dropper and put them back but next time I check, they're back under the cone. I'm coming up on 48 hours of them being wigglers so they're shaking pretty fast. Any suggestions?