PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

RodPreston
04-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi all, just wanting to ask a few quick questions about Discus color variations, firstly have recently started setting up my first Discus Aquarium. 75g, fluval 405 and will be adding a secondary diy fluidized sand bed filter, started cycling about 10 days ago so another month or so is when I will be really starting to look at introducing The first fish, plecos and utility fish first off few hatchets, etc. Before introducing my first discus, this will allow full tank maturity and to ensure all is clean, safe and stable. My real questions are: are all discus equal per say?, are colour variations just that or are they a sub species, so to speak? I would like to have maybe 6 discus so should I stay with multiples of two having three pairs? Thought it might be worth asking. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickztahone
04-22-2014, 12:06 AM
I started THIS THREAD (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71055-Strain-List-for-Beginners-(pictures)) a few years ago to help people with different strains. Seeing that it is indeed a few years old, you have to keep in mind that you are missing a lot of the newer "strains" out there. Keep in mind though, many strain names can be very similar to another one. This is because some breeders name their own strain as their own, as a trademark of sorts.

RodPreston
04-22-2014, 12:32 AM
thanks Rick. Omg never realized there was so many colour variation. I new there were a quite few just not tT totality. Might be fun just to goto a few local breeders here in Brisbane and take two juvies from each, be kinda of a lucky dip!

rickztahone
04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
thanks Rick. Omg never realized there was so many colour variation. I new there were a quite few just not tT totality. Might be fun just to goto a few local breeders here in Brisbane and take two juvies from each, be kinda of a lucky dip!

Ok, I tried avoiding directly answering your questions from above because if I get going it may get a little long-winded, and I don't currently have much time. The idea to get 2 discus from different sources is particularly a good one. If, you get a large group of discus (5 should be the minimum), you want to get them all from the same source. There is a wealth of information here in the forum in our Sticky section. Please read up on all of it before purchasing discus. It will make everything so much easier for you.

I mention this as well because of what you wrote at first. Some concerns there too. Please just read, and if you need help, I can point you to some threads. I am just currently pressed for time.

Skip
04-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Dont mix $1 tetras with $100 discus with no quarantine prior to introducing them..

RodPreston
04-22-2014, 02:58 AM
I will certainly be looking into setting up a hospital/quarantine tank up within the next week or so and certainly prior to introducing fish, is it better though to get the Discus first and slowly via quarantine add additional species or vice versus. I have the added bonus of using very clean stable rainwater tank water vs tap water. Ph is super stable, GH and kh are low 2 and three respectively? If you have any suggestions on things I should specifically search out I would certainly appreciate your opinions.

LEXUSGS350
04-22-2014, 03:41 AM
I have little experience razvedeniya.Ochen interesting probyvat albin.Chitayu your forum, very interesting
Regards Anatoly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_C6P0DMJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHOB8jy-G0