PDA

View Full Version : new discus adjust to lights

natho
04-23-2014, 05:11 AM
hey guys I'm nathan from australia just bought 5 new discus for my 6x2x2 and they are always hiding when the lights off with natural light there out and about but when the lights are on they always hide in the shadows any thoughts ideas?feeding ok there in with some neons land rummy nose the light is a fluvial led 4ft

Snow
06-18-2014, 02:31 PM
First let me say I'm new to Discus but when I first got mine they did the same thing. They just grouped together in the front corner or the tank. I started leaving the light out during the day (as they get natural light but not direct sun light). Then each evening I would turn the light on around the same time and leave it on for about an hour and then turn it off. I started increasing the time I would leave the light on a little longer each day. I have no clue if this is necessary or not but this worked for me. Now I turn the light on in the evening & leave it on until I'm ready for bed. I then switch it to the moon light mode and turn it off in the mornings.

Point is I think they will get used to it. They are in a new place with new surroundings & sounds, ect... Just give them a little time.

aquadon2222
06-18-2014, 09:13 PM
hey guys I'm nathan from australia just bought 5 new discus for my 6x2x2 and they are always hiding when the lights off with natural light there out and about but when the lights are on they always hide in the shadows any thoughts ideas?feeding ok there in with some neons land rummy nose the light is a fluvial led 4ft

Do you have any driftwood or plants for them to hang around? Given the choice, they'll hang out near that rather that in bright light - unless it's feeding time, of course.