PDA

View Full Version : How many discus for weekly w/c? (150 gallon)

Adoinc
04-24-2014, 12:06 AM
So I have decided to keep discus again, even after a sneaky lfs owner kept basically stealing my money by selling me sick fish.

I don't have the discus yet or the tank but in a few months I will so this gives me a completely blank slate.

Tank:
-150 gallons
-48" (L) x 24" (W) x 30" (H/T)

Stock:
-6x Rose discus / ocean green discus

Ok, so other than that the tank will be full of plants and have med-high lighting. It will have very low pressurized co2 levels at 1bps. Substrate = 2.5-3 inches total | 2 inches Ada .5-1 inch PFS capping it. Filter = Fluval fx5/6 ||| + weekly fertilizers and root tap supplements

Anyways, would I be able to get away with only weekly w/c if I buy 4" discus and there are only 6 in there as all of the stocking? I would do weekly 40% w/c and possibly add a refugium.

rickztahone
04-24-2014, 12:30 AM
I would seriously consider working on the planted side of things first and introducing the discus way down the line. Additionally, this is a pretty tall tank, make sure you get a fixture that will reach all the way to the floor for your plants. Lightly stocking a large tank is a good idea, but still needs frequent water changes. I would say to get adults, 6"+ when you do decide to get the discus.

Adoinc
04-24-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm experienced with planted tanks so that won't be much of a problem. Thank you for recommending what size to get, I was unsure there. All your help was greatly appreciated. :D Hopefully everything goes well.

metsfan421
04-24-2014, 01:48 AM
I was wondering if you have a heavily planted tank and the toxins are kept at 0, why the need for more than one water change per week?

musicmarn1
04-24-2014, 02:47 AM
You shouldn't if you have adults ! And heavily planted :D

YSS
04-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Should be fine.