PDA

View Full Version : Lighting period

chubba
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
I was wondering how long other members have their lights on for?

I have LED lights on my tank which are dimmable and I have tried to create as much as possible, sunrise, day light (supplemeneted by non direct day light) and sunset and in the night its set on a low light. There is no period when my lights are completely off.

Therefore my lighting period is on for 24/7.

Is this recommended?

Thanks

rickztahone
04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming you mean that at night your moonlights are on and not your main key lights? If so, how long is the actual exposure for the main lights?

Do you see any algae build up at all? How far is the fixture from the water line?

chubba
04-29-2014, 11:46 PM
I'm assuming you mean that at night your moonlights are on and not your main key lights? If so, how long is the actual exposure for the main lights?

Do you see any algae build up at all? How far is the fixture from the water line?

Daylights they are white colour but at a low intensity and night time the lights turn to a yellow colour on an even lower light intensity.

The light exposure is always on. The lights do not go off. I will go on holiday this weekend for 5 days, would you recommend to swicth the lights of completely or just keep the same lighting period I currently have set now?

There is no algae build up and I do daily water changes in the evening when I get home from work.

In terms of the light fixture I think is it is about 7inches above the water line

rickztahone
04-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Is there a specific reason why you are not turning your lights off at all? I believe the fish would appreciate some dark time at some point.

chubba
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
no specific reason.

thats why I am asking what other members have as their lighting period

Argentum
04-30-2014, 03:28 AM
The fish needs a dark period as well as the photo period. It reduces activity and rests and grows as well.

So they should have some dark periods, with moon lights or stray light from the room or something like that, not complete darkness.

Stendker recommends a 12 hour light, 12 hour dark.

Eti
04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
I was wondering how long other members have their lights on for?

I have LED lights on my tank which are dimmable and I have tried to create as much as possible, sunrise, day light (supplemeneted by non direct day light) and sunset and in the night its set on a low light. There is no period when my lights are completely off.

Therefore my lighting period is on for 24/7.

Is this recommended?

Thanks

Hi, could you give me the name of these lights? I am looking for some like you have. thanks!

brewmaster15
04-30-2014, 08:30 AM
The fish needs a dark period as well as the photo period. It reduces activity and rests and grows as well.

So they should have some dark periods, with moon lights or stray light from the room or something like that, not complete darkness.

Stendker recommends a 12 hour light, 12 hour dark.

Hi,
believe it or not, They actually don't need a light /dark cycle... I used to keep my tanks and hatchery lit up like a christmas tree 24 /7 . I had to as I never knew when I would be able to work in there.. I'm guessing the fish sleep when they want or need to while the lights are on... kind of like me.:D
I don't do this now as its not economical, but I thought I'd share that they really don't seem to care if the lights are on or not as far sleep requirements being met. I can only assume that they sleep with the lights on fine.

My tank lights go on.. 30 mins before I wake up, stay on 4 hours. Then shut off and the tanks in ambient room lighting most of the day(living rooms pretty bright) The lights go back on at 5 pm... and are on until 10 pm... This is not to satisfy the fish... Its because these are the times that my family and I are around the tank and active.

hth,
al

John_Nicholson
04-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Al is correct. I keep the lights on over pairs when they have fry. There was a time that the lights over my breeders was on for over 5 years.

-john

MendoMan
04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
If you want to make it easy on yourself you can get timers for LED lights that ramp up to day light and ramp down to moonlight. They are made by Current.

donnacona
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
My lights are on timers and my routine is the light comes on at 8 AM for feeding and a little tank work then they are off at 11 Am. Brine shrimp lunch is fed while lights off.
The light goes back on at 6 PM when they are fed supper and I spend the evening around them and interact with them ( I enjoy watching them and their personalities, it is a hobby isn't it and that is why we are doing it ) then the lights go off at 11 PM for the night. My tank is in the basement near my big TV.
Retirement is great isn't it.
Stu

farebox
05-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Amen to that, I do exactly the same. Just a couple of retiree's enjoying the good life, chill my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubba
05-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi, could you give me the name of these lights? I am looking for some like you have. thanks!

Hi Eti

Apologies for the late reply. I have been on holiday.

These are the lights I am using:
http://www.lutexled.com/#!aqua-home/cq33

Thanks

Eti
05-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk