PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer

32Bit_Fish
04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Can someone please recommend an UV sterilizer for my 75G? I want UV to kill off flukes. Thanks

Sandy Clay
04-30-2014, 01:02 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?43573-uv-sterilization-does-it-kill-flukes-off-DEAD
Here is a link about whether uv sterilizers do kill flukes.

jmf3460
04-30-2014, 01:27 PM
32Bit_Fish,

While I am on the nonbeliever side about whether UV sterilizers kill gill flukes, I am on the believer side that they help out overall in fish and tank health by keeping other parasites at bay and controlling green water outbreaks. I have some recent personal experience for you. Less than a year ago I bought a TruAqua 13watt submersible UV sterilizer for my 75 gallon. The whole unit submerses and pulls in water by a UV light then releases it using a propeller. For me it was like a UV/circulator in one I put it in the corner of my tank that doesn't have much flow and bam, I got flow and uv. I was really happy, the one I bought worked well, crystal clear water happy fish, good flow rate. Two days ago it died, not just the light the whole thing, the motor got water to it somehow. I just bought a new one today at my LFS, another submersible. Will let you know how it does. Its a "Green Killing Machine UV Internal UV with Powerhead." you can see the one I bought today here http://www.petco.com/product/114522/Green-Killing-Machine-Internal-UV-Sterilizer-with-Power-Head.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_2-_-Green%20Killing%20Machine%20Internal%20UV%20Steril izer%20with%20Power%20Head-114522 I bought this with the store manager's word that if I was unhappy for any reason I can bring it back. Reason for this is because its kind of a generic and not a well know name brand that I trust.

32Bit_Fish
04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I had once used an UV on a discus tank many years back. It seemed able to keep the fish healthy. All fluke related symptoms were gone after started using UV.
Then I took a break in this hobby and sold all my equipment.

Now I find myself back in this hobby and dealing with the same issue again. So I want to try UV sterilizer to keep fluke population in check.

jmf3460,
what is the actual size of this UV? It will occupy some space in the tank and I only have a 75G. There are six adult discus in it with potted plants and driftwood. So space is an issue for me.

nvladik
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
If it helps, I am running Aqua UV, 15W model. For 75 you should be ok with 9W. Does it help? No clue. Just running it as I have it.

32Bit_Fish
04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
If it helps, I am running Aqua UV, 15W model. For 75 you should be ok with 9W. Does it help? No clue. Just running it as I have it.

My SunSun canister filter has a built-in 9 watt UV bubble. Would it be powerful enough for my 75G?

jmf3460
04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
OP, I think most people go with an inline UV, do you have canister filter or HOB or what?? The one I bought today takes up a little more room than a heater I would say, easily hide able by some anubias stuck on suction cups.

SMB2
04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/tmcuvsterilizer.html

Follow this thread, there are some excellent recs. regarding flow and wattage required for killing algae, bacteria and protozoa.
I have used one for some time without problems. They are large and are an in-line device.

OC Discus
04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
The science behind uv for killing parasites can be confusing because you have to get the right balance of wattage, flow rate, dwell time, and tank turnover rate. After personally trying a couple myself, I think you will need somewhere around a 50 watt unit connected to a canister, after the filter that will turn over the entire tank 3-4 times per hour to control/eliminate parasites.

I'm not a biologist, but I've gleaned this much from research. To kill newly hatched parasites before they attach to the fish the entire tank needs to flow through the uv about 4 times per hour. In order for the uv to be effective at that speed, 50-60 watts is probably minimum. I would confirm the exact specs with an expert before ordering the unit. Rick or Al might be able to help you with specifics.

32Bit_Fish
05-01-2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/tmcuvsterilizer.html

Follow this thread, there are some excellent recs. regarding flow and wattage required for killing algae, bacteria and protozoa.
I have used one for some time without problems. They are large and are an in-line device.

Which UV are you using and how big is your tank? The Vector 2 is only 8 watts and it can be used for up to 100G tank per the website.

SMB2
05-01-2014, 11:58 PM
I have had the 25 watt for a 90gal tank with a turn over rate of about 4 times per hour (pump rate after the UV ~360 gph).

32Bit_Fish
05-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I have had the 25 watt for a 90gal tank with a turn over rate of about 4 times per hour (pump rate after the UV ~360 gph).

So what was the result of achieving stage 1 or 2 sterilization? I'm assuming you have the Vecton 6 version?