PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 75g Discus Tank

xharold
05-02-2014, 10:55 PM
So I'm pretty new to discus(but not on the fish hobby) and Discus got my eyes the first time I saw it. I've been wanting to get an arowana but the investment for a 200 gallon tank doesn't seem to fit my savings. So this month I've decided to pick up a 75G(brand new) to just make it full dedicated for Discus. What I wanted to know is. I wanna know all the infos about Discus such as maintenance, feeding, and number of Discus in a tank. Also, I am planning to paint the tank black and just go BB. I hope you guys could way my way through it. Hope to hear your opinions guy!

discuspaul
05-02-2014, 11:04 PM
You should start by reading the Stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners section - that will give you all the information you need to get started, and to answer your initial questions.

xharold
05-03-2014, 12:23 AM
So I've read how to pick a discus and how I set them up. My question is what does he mean by this "50% daily water change with aged (dechlorinated, warmed, aerated) tap water" does this mean I need to change water 50% daily + The water should be already in a bucket ?

rickztahone
05-03-2014, 02:46 AM
It simply means that you daily water changes so that the discus can grow out at a good rate. If you lack in the water change department, you will see it in your discus size, or the lack-there-of.

Aged water simply means, you put water in a large container, you add dechlorinator of your choice, add an air stone and a heater, and use it the following day for your water change. You only need to do this if your pH isn't stable. If it is, you can use it straight, no problems. Start reading the stickies like suggested. Good read.

xharold
05-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Back when I was living in my apartment the water was terrible for some reason, now that I live in a house the water seems to be more accurate and clean. I never understood why but my cichlids are doing way better than ever. Less sickness and very active thats having a waterchange every 3 days and the tank is clearer than ever. I might test my tanks water by the weekend and see whats the current status of the water.

ronald sherman
05-04-2014, 05:17 PM
as you will read ageing water in not really nessarry if there isn't a large ph flunction I believe the test is too check the ph out of the faucet then compare it with the tank, then age a container with a air stone and heater running compare the 2 reading the 1 right out of the faucet and the 1 aged it should be less than .4 difference if it raises after ageing it need's too be aged also since young discus need too be feed often 5-7 times daily and with high protein diet often with at least 1 meal being beef hearts the bottom of the tank should alway's be vacuum daily the pre-filter cleaned well, and if not large daily water changes at the very min every other day once there over 15-18 month's old then you can cut back too 3 times a week if you desire as you won't be feeding them as offen I'm a newbie and have 2-75 gallon tank's of discus 8 in each 1 tank I have for over 1.5 and still do 90% every other da water changes and of course cleaning the sides and bttm of tank, air hoses cleaning filter's every few week's in declorinized water and sponge filter every week as well