PDA

View Full Version : Biggest fish in the tank preferes defending his territory to eating.

adapted
05-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I've had a new batch of adult wilds in a 75 G tank for exactly a week now. All is well and everyone is active and eating well except for the biggest fish who has staked out prime territory and won't let down his gurad long enough to even eat a bloodworm. (He's in the center background in the photo.)

I guess my main question is if this is a health or a behavior issue. I'm pretty sure he has a prospective mate, though she sort of keeps her distance. All of the other fish fuss and nudge and glare, but this guy does nothing but stay ready to run off interlopers.

He's big and thick enough to last for a good long while without eating, but I wonder if anyone has experienced this sort of thing and determined if it was just normal discus behavior or an underlying health issue. (The big guy did take in a blood worm or two but spit them back out. He doesn't seem unhealthy, just fixated on territory.)

-- They're all moving to a 120G next week... 75 is too small for seven fish this size who want to act tough all day.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/mcsadapted/media/P1040259_zps4643a075.jpg.html

winn0923
05-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Try freeze dried black worm

But he should be fine, I have wilds that don't eat for a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discus821
05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Try a good water change ,raise the temp to 89 or 90 deg.

Second Hand Pat
05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Try a good water change ,raise the temp to 89 or 90 deg.

I would not do this on a tank of wilds where the fish have only been in the tank a week and only one not eating. I would give it time.

adapted
05-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, I am changing water pretty reularly, close to 50% a day (from two or three siphonings mostly), and I did a round of Prazi Pro on the advice of the seller that seems to have helped. He now comes out under the moonlight LED and socializes with the rest, which he did not do before. He's still not eating though. I think I'm going to try some live mosquito larvae and if that doesn't do it, he might have to go into a hospital tank.

winn0923
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Well, I am changing water pretty reularly, close to 50% a day (from two or three siphonings mostly), and I did a round of Prazi Pro on the advice of the seller that seems to have helped. He now comes out under the moonlight LED and socializes with the rest, which he did not do before. He's still not eating though. I think I'm going to try some live mosquito larvae and if that doesn't do it, he might have to go into a hospital tank.

How long has he been off food? A week is not long at all for wilds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adapted
05-05-2014, 04:54 PM
It's been a week and a half now. I'm not going to wory too much unless he goes another couple of weeks. The main thing is that all the rest eat like pigs, so he may have some underlying health issue. I kind of think think if I gave them some live food he'd come around pretty quick.

Second Hand Pat
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Try red wigglers.

adapted
05-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Try red wigglers.

Just ordered a 1000 of 'em

aquadon2222
05-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I have a fish like that - he's a 7" Wild Red Alenquer and he likes to hang out by "his" piece of driftwood and swim out and chase away any other fish that gets near him. He doesn't eat with the other fish when I feed, but he eventually started picking pellets/shrimp/bloodworms off the bottom in his little domain. If your fish is healthy, give him time and he will eventually eat.

adapted
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
This guy is about the same size and was sold as a Blue Alenquer. He swims with others at night but is ever-vigilant during the daylight hours...

adapted
05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Looks like this IS a health issue rather than a behavior... the fish has started doing a little bit of flashing against drift wood and is pretty clearly not too happy overall (slightly dark, slightly dull eyes. I've moved him to his own 29 gallon tank (84 degrees, pH 6.5) with a fresh dose of Prazi Pro. Has not eaten a bite in at least two weeks.. I have what I thought woud have been some tempting live food on the way but I'm not optimistic about him going for it...

Anyway, NOT a water quality issue, and apparently something Prazi doesn't address.

rickztahone
05-07-2014, 08:52 PM
I hope it gets better adapted.

adapted
05-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks Ric... I think this is ging to work out... he's got the cleanest water possible with the right parameters...and I'm too old to panic about ttese things. The red wigglers arrive tomrrow and we'll see how stubborn he really is. I have an email in to the seller to ask if he has any advice.

adapted
05-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Looks like I was overly optimistic... the fish died overnight. I usually feel bad/responsible when when goes like that, but I'm pretty sure this guy was never healthy from the start, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. In any case, the tank should be a little more peaceful overall.