PDA

View Full Version : Sand snails

donnacona
05-03-2014, 10:30 PM
A friend of mine was telling me that since I have a sand bottom, I should find some cork screw snails because they go in the sand and keep it clean. Anyone know anything about this before I get any I've never heard this before.
Stu:huh:

Fisher126
05-03-2014, 11:46 PM
I personally have never heard of cork screw snails but thanks to google images they seem to be the same as Malaysian Trumpet Snails. These are extremely beneficial to sandy substrates. They go through the sand breaking up any harmful gaseous pockets that may exist along with consuming excess food and even fish waste. These along with many types of cory fish help the aesthetics and bioload in your tank. They are very cheap and multiply rapidly in warmer aquariums. Hope this helps!

Shane

joanstone
05-04-2014, 07:50 AM
I think you're going to find people pretty divided on snails. Some people hate them and go crazy trying to kill them. I like snails and keep quite a few different types. I agree that MTS can be beneficial to a sandy bottom tank. Most people keeping discus with sand keep it pretty thin and are most likely siphoning it regularly though so not as big a deal. Snails can be a good indicator of over feeding too. You can get a population explosion if you feed too much. They also poop a lot.