PDA

View Full Version : New Member Need a Little Direction

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Greetings folks,

I have got the full on addiction to this hobby and always been enamored by Discus Fish. With this passion I wanted to set up a discus tank as a centerpiece to my apartment. The only real hesitation is my tap water. It's on the harder side and the ph is a low to mid 7's. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm thinking of the fish first, so anything that will harm them I'll just count my losses and move onto a different species! With that tap water, how much harder would it be on the animal, environment, and just well-being of the system. Once cycled in my other tanks, number did drop a little with driftwood and live plants. I am able to maintain the tank multiple times a week and have the time and patience to give the animals the care needed. I just wanted to hear some thoughts and maybe get some info on people who have harder water. I know a breeder that has mid 7's and harder water then me. These fish seem to thrive due to consistency. Anyways, thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the community!

Thanks,
Doug

yim11
05-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Greetings folks,

I have got the full on addiction to this hobby and always been enamored by Discus Fish. With this passion I wanted to set up a discus tank as a centerpiece to my apartment. The only real hesitation is my tap water. It's on the harder side and the ph is a low to mid 7's. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm thinking of the fish first, so anything that will harm them I'll just count my losses and move onto a different species! With that tap water, how much harder would it be on the animal, environment, and just well-being of the system. Once cycled in my other tanks, number did drop a little with driftwood and live plants. I am able to maintain the tank multiple times a week and have the time and patience to give the animals the care needed. I just wanted to hear some thoughts and maybe get some info on people who have harder water. I know a breeder that has mid 7's and harder water then me. These fish seem to thrive due to consistency. Anyways, thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the community!

Thanks,
Doug

Don't worry about hardness or pH unless you plan to breed them. You aren't shooting for any specific number, just a consistent/steady number.

I think some big adult discus from one of the great sponsors here would look good in that tank.

HTHs,
-jim

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Not looking to breed at all! Just maintain a happy home. With the above considerations.

discuspaul
05-06-2014, 12:58 AM
There is absolutely no problem with pH in the low to mid 70's for discus - go for it.

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 01:07 AM
There is absolutely no problem with pH in the low to mid 70's for discus - go for it.

Going, going, gone.

Now, just need to do some logistical thinking and design a tank for them.

Until then... Redbull and researching.

Second Hand Pat
05-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Hi Doug and welcome to Simply. As the good folks above mentioned consistent water parameters, clean warm water and starting with healthy, quality stock will set you up to be successful with this awesome fish. I suggest taking that redbull, pull up a chair and do some reading on the site. Start in the beginner section. Feel free to ask questions as you go. We are here to help.
Pat

Argentum
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome to simply, and it is true that there is something about this fish that is really addictive.

I can't emphasize more on one of the points that pat said "Start with a good quality healthy stock" and take it slowly and plan ahead.
There are some build journals here that will give you amazing ideas as well.

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Got in touch with Kenny, don't need to say much as you all know his quality. I am going to take time with cycling and planning. My apartment complex won't allow more then 55 gallons. Was curious and trying to decide on the type of tank, long... tall, etc. From watching a ton of videos they seem to enjoy swimming vertically as much as laterally, so would a long be out? Also, have decided on doing beautiful large drift woods, some river rocks, anubias, and amazon swords. No carpets, no messy plants, and certainly no CO2. Clean tank, with dark greens, and easy maintenance. Low Tech with maybe some seachem tabs and nice lighting (finnex). With that aside all I have to figure out besides design is the type of filtration. What do you all recommend? I'm mostly familiar with hang in the back, usually aqueon's. Thanks!

For your viewing pleasure:
My one cent adoption from Petsmart who was near death. Very near death. With some TLC is improving :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4VNOQeP94

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 03:03 PM
To Minimize aggression, what other things can I do besides ordering all 4 or 6 at once? I will feed and feed to keep them full and happy. Thanks!