PDA

View Full Version : Had to cull off some b grade fish today - but wait... one culled itself

wild-blue-discus
05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Had to cull off some b grade discus today, I have been persevering with them for months but their problem is clearly genetic.

One of the culls did something very unusual prior to the chop, i haven't seen before, it was acting fine (other fish in the same tank as well) then while doing a water change, it decided that it was going to start head standing and generally acting weird, I added the water conditioner as always and the craziest thing happened (not the good kind of crazy) basically it shed all of its blue colors, like a coat (blue turq) went a silver color and proceeded to die (basically dead within 5min from acting fine). all the other fish were and are still fine.Water paramenters are good

Needless to say i got it the hell out of the tank quick smart.

Has anyone seen something like this?

rickztahone
05-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Never heard of such a thing. Pretty wild.

GeauxDiscus
05-12-2014, 08:53 PM
That's a trip. Sounds viral. Are the other fish still okay, or have any of the others experienced the same sort of sudden death?

wild-blue-discus
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
nope died within 5min, it was insane!

The fish was fully colored and acting normal, water conditioner went in, color melted off ....literally. one blue discus to silver discus.... stone cold dead within 5 min!

That's a trip. Sounds viral. Are the other fish still okay, or have any of the others experienced the same sort of sudden death?

wild-blue-discus
05-14-2014, 11:10 PM
when i say shed i really mean shed, it basicly shed-ed all the color from its scales, like it had been bleached!!!!

rickztahone
05-14-2014, 11:25 PM
How you didn't run from the tank after seeing that is beyond me, lol. I would have been scared as heck.

wild-blue-discus
05-15-2014, 01:52 AM
believe me i was!

How you didn't run from the tank after seeing that is beyond me, lol. I would have been scared as heck.

Crunchy
05-31-2014, 11:17 AM
wow scary...

DonMD
05-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Which raises the question, can fish suffer massive heart, or neurological failure, such as heart failure, or stroke or some such? I have heard of fish freaking out, and slamming hard against the glass, and then dying immediately from trauma. I hope in your case that whatever the cause, it's unique to that one fish.

treemanone2003
05-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Which raises the question, can fish suffer massive heart, or neurological failure, such as heart failure, or stroke or some such? I have heard of fish freaking out, and slamming hard against the glass, and then dying immediately from trauma. I hope in your case that whatever the cause, it's unique to that one fish.

A very good question indeed. If it can happen with people (as I've seen first hand as a first responder) and dogs and cats can be born with heart murmurs, lung defects, etc, why can't fish succumb to the same problems ? I've worked with many rescued dogs (particularly GSD's) and have seen neuro problems in them many times as well. As some are aware of, rabies in animals will greatly affect the neuro system of the animal to varying degrees resulting in untimely deaths. I'm not saying the fish had rabies but just using it as a comparison aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk