PDA

View Full Version : Giving up....

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi All,

I have decided to just give up on the Discus. I explored several options, one of which was to order more from Kenny; however, they are just to much work right now. I may try again when I retire, we'll see. I found someone willing to take the ones I have and it feels like hundreds of pounds have been lifted off my shoulders. My 47 gal is now a Blood Parrot tank and we are loving them. They have great personalities and don't beat the hell out of each other. My 92 gal show tank is going to be a Koi Angle tank. Will order from Angles Plus next week. I've owned Angles before and we were very happy with them.

Discus may be pretty and the "King of the Aquarium" but they were truly a HUGH pain in the rear. I was SO busy taking care of them I NEVER got to enjoy them.

Thanks for all your help and feedback. You have a wonderful site here.

Penny

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Boy, I am right there with you. Not sure I have enough time either. It seems like I just get one thing fixed and something else is wrong. I love Blood Parrots also.

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi Sandy,

Maybe I'll change my mind, but right now I hope I never see another Discus. Can't wait to get the Angles and get back to enjoying the hobby again. Wish I hadn't given up all my other fish in order to have Discus, but that's the way it goes. Hell it was worth a try....:)

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Haha yep...I have tried too. I just wish I could find someone locally that would take them. I have bought all the necessary things for their survival, but, they just continue to have problems. I may end up moving on also. Good luck to you with your new fish. I still have another aquarium that I have Gouramis and Black Neons in. I would like the Blood Parrots again...they have so much personality and are very hardy.

YSS
05-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Growing out discus is a lot of work if you want giant discus, however, if you are ok with average discus, growing them out is not that much work. If you have bigger fish, taking care of discus is even less work.

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I am not interested in growing them out and I am still having problems. I have 1 that is 4 years old, 3 that are 2 years old and 2 that I got in February which are quite large. It seems since I got the new ones I have had nothing but problems. They eat then they won't eat...they have flashed , I have treated. They eat, then they won't eat, they get frayed fins, then they get better....not sure I have the patience.

warblad79
05-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi All,

I have decided to just give up on the Discus. I explored several options, one of which was to order more from Kenny; however, they are just to much work right now. I may try again when I retire, we'll see. I found someone willing to take the ones I have and it feels like hundreds of pounds have been lifted off my shoulders. My 47 gal is now a Blood Parrot tank and we are loving them. They have great personalities and don't beat the hell out of each other. My 92 gal show tank is going to be a Koi Angle tank. Will order from Angles Plus next week. I've owned Angles before and we were very happy with them.

Discus may be pretty and the "King of the Aquarium" but they were truly a HUGH pain in the rear. I was SO busy taking care of them I NEVER got to enjoy them.

Thanks for all your help and feedback. You have a wonderful site here.

Penny

I'm with you all the way, I feel like start to giving up Discus hobby due to busy schedule. Its hard to keep up with 99% WC a day and bills keep filing up. I am shifting to low tech planted tank with shrimp and plecos. I just recently acquired my first Japanese Akita so I need to dedicate a lot of time training him.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae219/DiscusLover79/IMAG0330_zps8c7af804.jpg (http://s973.photobucket.com/user/DiscusLover79/media/IMAG0330_zps8c7af804.jpg.html)

JmDiscuss
05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
I am not interested in growing them out and I am still having problems. I have 1 that is 4 years old, 3 that are 2 years old and 2 that I got in February which are quite large. It seems since I got the new ones I have had nothing but problems. They eat then they won't eat...they have flashed , I have treated. They eat, then they won't eat, they get frayed fins, then they get better....not sure I have the patience.

I feel what your saying, after all the reading here from others with there issues, I have decided to only stay with a 75 gallon max tank size. I have a 40 gallon with 2 Adult discus in it, and 75 with 6 juv's in it. doing the water changes is the biggest issue for me, doing everyday 40 to 50% for the juv's and every other day for the Adults, takes up time, only good thing is I have a system in place that makes it easy, takes 15 min to clean and fill the 75.. as before taken buckets after buckets out was a pain, I am getting to old for that.. But I love these fish and the challange of growing them, I have had other fish before and even bred Rams and raised, but the discus is the one fish I keep coming back to.. My point is try to cut back on the number of tanks and do what needs to be done for them.. And I know if you do leave you will be back, they are to good looking not come back to.

Jerry

JmDiscuss
05-06-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm with you all the way, I feel like start to giving up Discus hobby due to busy schedule. Its hard to keep up with 99% WC a day and bills keep filing up. I am shifting to low tech planted tank with shrimp and plecos. I just recently acquired my first Japanese Akita so I need to dedicate a lot of time training him.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae219/DiscusLover79/IMAG0330_zps8c7af804.jpg (http://s973.photobucket.com/user/DiscusLover79/media/IMAG0330_zps8c7af804.jpg.html)

Yup you better start training, look at him he has a blanket, next it will be your bed and you will be on the floor LOL

Jerry

Skip
05-06-2014, 12:27 PM
DON"T GET GUPPIES!!

they are like Crack!! and take up ALOT LESS SPACE..

17 strains later.. << :)

John_Nicholson
05-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Healthy discus are pretty easy to keep. It is when you get non-healthy discus that your life becomes a pain. I hope it works out for ya'll.

-john

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey! I am just getting into Discus Fish. If I may ask before I dive in head first, what about it made you lose your enjoyment? Thankfully due to my work I have a lot of time I can spend if need be. I plan on doing a 55 gallon. Thanks! Good luck!

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Water changes AM, PM, with tight work schedule. Had to feed 4 times a day. They FIGHT! They decide one cannot eat and it dies. Then they decide the next one can't eat and it dies and on and on. They are VERY easily stressed which causes disease. Did I mention they fight like hell! Hated looking up at the tanks because all you saw was one fish abusing another. Had to divide tank. Had to get expensive food which half the time they wasted. Had to treat due to flashing and believe me I did 80% water changes twice daily so it was not due to poor water quality. Once again, can't stress enough, they fight like hell!! They'll tell you it's because you don't have enough in tank; however, I had 5 then went to 9. It did not help. Family wanted them gone. All used to love feeding and watching the fish until I got the Discus. Just about had myself and them convinced that if I got them from a good breeder it would be different. Daughter said she'd leave it I got more, so NO more Discus. Constant worry and stress for absolutely nothing. AND THEY FIGHT!!

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks John. I think that was probably my problem:( Angel I don't want to discourage anyone from keeping them, they are beautiful and rewarding I'm sure. I just don't have the time as Jerry stated. I work long hours during the agriculture seasons and it is hard for me to do the water changes. I also must have gotten unhealthy ones from the git go. I do have one I kept for 4 years, never had any problems with him until I got these last 2. He has since had Fluke's and now has a fin rot issue. Never seems to end. If I can get thru this I will keep them and see what happens. The blood parrots are calling my name though. I had one once before and it was such a personable little fish. I miss it. I ended up selling it since I only had a 30 gallon tank. Should have gotten a bigger tank then and kept it. I even had it named Perry.

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Penny I have not had much aggression issues. A little when I got the last 2, but, that has ended. They are a little aggressive when I feed them, but, nothing severe. Sorry to hear you had a bad problem. But, I hear ya talking.

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Oh, and Jerry if you need me to train your puppy send him over....I can spoil him with the best of em:bandana:

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Sandy my parrots name was Cowboy. I gave him away when I got the Discus. He was AWESOME. I have two new ones named Ali and Cassius. They are real clowns!!

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Good for you Penny! Glad things are working out for you.

YSS
05-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Water changes AM, PM, with tight work schedule. Had to feed 4 times a day. They FIGHT! They decide one cannot eat and it dies. Then they decide the next one can't eat and it dies and on and on. They are VERY easily stressed which causes disease. Did I mention they fight like hell! Hated looking up at the tanks because all you saw was one fish abusing another. Had to divide tank. Had to get expensive food which half the time they wasted. Had to treat due to flashing and believe me I did 80% water changes twice daily so it was not due to poor water quality. Once again, can't stress enough, they fight like hell!! They'll tell you it's because you don't have enough in tank; however, I had 5 then went to 9. It did not help. Family wanted them gone. All used to love feeding and watching the fish until I got the Discus. Just about had myself and them convinced that if I got them from a good breeder it would be different. Daughter said she'd leave it I got more, so NO more Discus. Constant worry and stress for absolutely nothing. AND THEY FIGHT!!

I do water changes once a week and feed twice a day max.

ForAnAngel
05-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Not sure if I should be shocked, but you're the first person that has even brought up fighting. That's interesting. I hope it was just a few bad eggs and not the disposition of most! I've watched about a 100 videos and only a couple had bad experiences with aggression. Oye.

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Well for some reason I do not have that luxury. I have a 75 gallon.

John_Nicholson
05-06-2014, 01:41 PM
I feed twice a day. If done properly it is more then enough. I do change water daily. Even so I spend less time in my fish house than most people spend sitting on their butts watching TV.

-john

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
LOL John , I also do not have the luxury of sitting on my butt! :D

DiscusLoverJeff
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Discus keeping is like any other hobby, it may be right for some, but not right for others.

When people see my discus and start talking about buying them, I always tell them what it takes to be a successful discus owner, including expense and equipment. Also direct them to read the threads on the forum as they offer the most valuable information possible for beginners.

Sadly, reality sets in for many after they have spent a lot of money on the hobby before actually doing the research and wind up taking a huge loss.

MendoMan
05-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Not sure if I should be shocked, but you're the first person that has even brought up fighting. That's interesting. I hope it was just a few bad eggs and not the disposition of most! I've watched about a 100 videos and only a couple had bad experiences with aggression. Oye.

She is far from the first to mention Discus fighting.Fighting is brought up all the time. Lots of people have trouble with Discus fighting.

beastroy
05-06-2014, 02:17 PM
If one can give 30 minutes of your time to care for your discus everyday I don't see any problem keeping them......if cant do that, feeding less will help.

Always try to keep same size discus in the same tank...off by 1 inches is still considered fine....but 2.5'' and 5'' discus together will created a battle ground and the small ones will get stunted or might die due to stress.

Learn how to care and grow for them in a discus only bare bottom tank. Until you gain enough experience by just looking at your discus if they are happy or not.

Discus fish alone in the tank is an art.

Well,point is the more money one can spend the more knowledge they will gain.

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 02:17 PM

WOW, I've read LOTS of posts on fighting/bullying/aggression. I was fooled by the videos on youtube as well. They looks so peaceful and beautiful.....not mine.

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Discus keeping is like any other hobby, it may be right for some, but not right for others.

When people see my discus and start talking about buying them, I always tell them what it takes to be a successful discus owner, including expense and equipment. Also direct them to read the threads on the forum as they offer the most valuable information possible for beginners.

Sadly, reality sets in for many after they have spent a lot of money on the hobby before actually doing the research and wind up taking a huge loss.

I read EVERYTHING I could gets my hands on prior to getting into Discus. NOTHING prepared me for what I ended up with.

John_Nicholson
05-06-2014, 02:28 PM
While they do establish a pecking order it blows my mind that yours fight that much. I have kept/bred discus for a long time and have never had it that bad. I do overfeed and I spread the food out. That seems to take care of most of the issues for me.

-john

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm not trashing anyones fish. Am I disappointed? You bet I am!! I just want to go back to relaxing and enjoying my hobby again, that's all. No more rules...you have to have so many...they have to be the same size...bare bottom....change that water......on and on. No more keeping the little darlings happy. I want healthy, hardy, calm, peaceful fish again.

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 02:36 PM
While they do establish a pecking order it blows my mind that yours fight that much. I have kept/bred discus for a long time and have never had it that bad. I do overfeed and I spread the food out. That seems to take care of most of the issues for me.

-john

Hi John,

I seem to have won the jackpot on aggression...lucky me....:) I searched and read every time I ran into a problem and REALLY tired to solve the problem. I always over fed and spread food all over my tanks which was the reason for so many water changes. I really don't think I've worked this hard to make something work in my life. Every time I turned around there was something else wrong.

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 02:37 PM
I hear ya Penny. I am getting there...sadly .

Allwin
05-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Hello Penny, well understood your point. Discus hobby unlike any other fish is like practicing any sports. Game improves as the time progress and passion of that sport.

I'm not trashing anyones fish. Am I disappointed? You bet I am!! I just want to go back to relaxing and enjoying my hobby again, that's all. No more rules...you have to have so many...they have to be the same size...bare bottom....change that water......on and on. No more keeping the little darlings happy. I want healthy, hardy, calm, peaceful fish again.

warblad79
05-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Discus are not meant for everybody, you need time, dedication, patient and money.

judijetson
05-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Penny, very happy to hear you found someone to take your discus and you will now actually be able to have fish you enjoy. Having a hobby that is stressful is no fun.
I was at the point recently where if someone locally who was experienced with discus could have taken mine I would have given them away. For me it's also dealing with the aggression, I can do water changes standing on my head, no big deal, I don't care about the cost of discus, the equipment, the food, I work hard and don't have kids :D. Losing 3 beautiful discus from illness brought on by aggression was something I was not prepared for.
My tank right now has 8 discus and two are separated by egg crate as the male is extremely aggressive to the other discus/dither fish. I decided to add 4 more to hopefully spread the aggression but they will be in qt for a few more weeks, truthfully, I don't know if I'll ever be able to remove the egg crate and have one big open display tank.
I promised my hb that this will be my last attempt to make things work.

Good luck with the hobby and enjoy the new fish!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

pgrhodes1
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Penny, very happy to hear you found someone to take your discus and you will now actually be able to have fish you enjoy. Having a hobby that is stressful is no fun.
I was at the point recently where if someone locally who was experienced with discus could have taken mine I would have given them away. For me it's also dealing with the aggression, I can do water changes standing on my head, no big deal, I don't care about the cost of discus, the equipment, the food, I work hard and don't have kids :D. Losing 3 beautiful discus from illness brought on by aggression was something I was not prepared for.
My tank right now has 8 discus and two are separated by egg crate as the male is extremely aggressive to the other discus/dither fish. I decided to add 4 more to hopefully spread the aggression but they will be in qt for a few more weeks, truthfully, I don't know if I'll ever be able to remove the egg crate and have one big open display tank.
I promised my hb that this will be my last attempt to make things work.

Good luck with the hobby and enjoy the new fish!

I couldn't have said it better. The hard work and money were nothing, the stress and disappointment was hard. I lost several fish due to aggression as well. Had a divider in my show tank which was ugly as sin and really defeated the purpose of having a show tank. Oh well, I'm going to stop whining now. Good luck with your Discus. I sincerely hope it works out for you!!

ronald sherman
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
After reading this post again I am so proud of myself, and my discus did I do the best job know are they healthy very, are they happy very 20 month's ago after reading this forum, for 3 month's 7 day's a week 5-6 hr's a day I decided too start my first discus tank 3-4 month's latter after saying too myself this is too easy and getting sick, as well as a little lazy I left the tank go 3 wk's that's right 3 wk's without doing a wc, they seem so healthy after 1 wk, even 2 wk's np still eating 3-4 times a week, then bam, 2 died over within a few day's I promised myself and have never went back on a promise that I would do water changes every day for the next 3 wk's 75% btw then every other day, I replaced the 2 that died from Kenny, now 21 month's latter I still have those 8 discus are they the largest know btw for the first time they had started fighting non- stop for the last month and stressed out I realized that after I saw 2 of them cleaning the intake tube and guarding it the last 24 hr's they were pair's up btw 3 hr's ago I just called Kenny excited as hell, there are about 50-75 orange which appear's too be egg's on the filter intake 6 month's ago I started my second discus tank yess my second I'm happy too say I've learned a lot as there are a few bigger than in the first have I thought about giving them up, absolutely, did I know it was the discus's that many day's I didn't have the strength too get myself out of bed let alone cook, myself a meal, down too 119lb, it was the discus the gave be the stiminia too get myself going feed them, do a water change and then cook myself something btw I'm on SSD, had too buy 75% of my supply's and tank's used but never tried too save any money when it came too the fish only bought from a sponcer Kenny, have ar least 11 different food's and spoil them, wish I went out and bought myself food that went 4 over 50 dollar's a lb,

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Wow...that was painful to read with no punctuation:p

ronald sherman
05-06-2014, 03:37 PM
btw I need too share that the second tank I bought the discus from someone 120 miles away not Kenny, he was nice enough too drive them too my ap[t, yess 120 miles away as I was going too take train, they were around 3 in juv, not even colored today, they are still growing and 2 of them are a bit over 6 in's I'm very grateful for him for going out of his way too get them too me hopegully showed it by taking care of them the best I could still having just most of them alive and sending him a video of them just a few week's agi

YSS
05-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Wow...that was painful to read with no punctuation:p

But likes commas ...

yim11
05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
But likes commas ...

I thought it was Lorem Ipsum ;)

judijetson
05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
But likes commas ...

I'm sitting in the parking lot of a grocery store laughing my @ss off :confused::eek::D

ronald sherman
05-06-2014, 04:58 PM
YIM11 it is you did a real good job figuring that out,? all by yourself or did you have help?

yim11
05-06-2014, 05:02 PM
YIM11 it is you did a real good job figuring that out,? all by yourself or did you have help?

Years of coding gave it away :)

gundala
05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
If the moderator allows we should start a stickie along the theme of "top 10 reasons not to keep discus", in addition to this (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?82929-Cold-Hard-Facts-for-the-Hobbyist).
1. Pricey 2. Weak 3. Skittish 4. Moody, etc.

PS: By the time the list is made, one will see it is just like a dating relationship :grin:

JmDiscuss
05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Oh, and Jerry if you need me to train your puppy send him over....I can spoil him with the best of em:bandana:

When i get one sure LOL

John_Nicholson
05-06-2014, 05:26 PM
The only trouble is that they are not weak, not skittish, not moody, etc.....

-john

If the moderator allows we should start a stickie along the theme of "top 10 reasons not to keep discus", in addition to this (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?82929-Cold-Hard-Facts-for-the-Hobbyist).
1. Pricey 2. Weak 3. Skittish 4. Moody, etc.

PS: By the time the list is made, one will see it is just like a dating relationship :grin:

Sandy Clay
05-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Sorry Jerry, I see that was NOT you that got the new puppy....I think my glasses were fogged up:o

JmDiscuss
05-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Sorry Jerry, I see that was NOT you that got the new puppy....I think my glasses were fogged up:o

That's ok, you can still train when i get one.

judijetson
05-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Agree with John, they are not weak, skittish or moody. They are cichlids. My most aggressive male is strong, far from shy and sweet as a puppy (to me and his mate). As a novice I didn't see the signs quickly enough to save the discus that were bullied. I didn't separate and medicate quickly enough. What I did do after was remove anything that they could claim as territory and separate (in the same tank) the holy terror and his mate. It's working for now and hopefully will continue to work with the addition of more discus. I think it was John that has said "give a discus a place to hide and it will". I took that statement and initiated it my tank and so far other than than normal discus pecking order there has been no more issues.

farebox
05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes these discus fish can be an PIA at times. Learned over time start with healthy fish, do WC, feed(feed what you have or go hungry). It' an hobby to provide the TLC required. Once it become an job, yes move on to something else. I put my best effort and hard earned cash into it to now I got an varsity team of 14 and just kick back and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madaboutdiscus
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
I only spend about 1 hr per day besides feeding on my guys. Other than a stubborn case of gill flukes I've not had issues. The hr is spent on tank maintenence. My group grew up together so they don't bully too much other than feeding times.

~Victoria